need memory advice!...

mikelx21

:confused: I have two sticks of generic 256mb PC3200 DDR400 ram and was wondering (because I have nothing close to a big budget) if upgrading to 1gb would make a huge difference in performance. I see many rig specs that have at least a gig of ram but have never experienced what a gig of ram can do myself. The reason I am asking is because I need to know where to stick my last few dollars for upgrading (ram, dvd burner, extra HDD, speakers etc.) and I need to know if 512mb is enough for my mid-ranged gaming system (see below) to get by on and be respectable...or if it is bottlenecked by the ram... Also, should I shoot for 1gb of value ram or the corsair xms ($230) type stuff? or does it matter?...

To upgrade...or not to upgrade? (and save lots of money) :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For a system with the specs you're running you would definitely benifit from 1GB. You dont need to grab the fancy TwinX stuff or anything really... just get their ValueSelect line which is quite affordable. Try and get the 1GB as 2x512MB so you can use the Dual channel ... that plus the 2x256 you have now and you should be good :)