Need Ram help :( Will high density work?

brasssmunkey

Hey all. I just registered to this site and I just wanna first say thanks to anyone who can help me :).

Heres my question...I have 512mb of ram on my Compaq Presario 5330us and I want to upgrade to 1024. This computer is capable of 1536mb. So heres my dilemma:
I know nothing when it comes to ram. I did some reasearch and found that this compaq requires a 168 pin 133mhz chip thats SDram. So i went on ebay and purchased one. Here are its stats:
512MB 64MX64
PC133 133Mhz, 168 pin SDRAM
Unbuffered, Non ECC, Non Registered.
7.5ns, 3.3v, CL 3 or CL 2
64x4 High Density Chip.

After i purchased it and did alittle more reasearch I found that some computers cannot use high density chips :(. But since my compaq can hold 512mb's of ram in each slot (It has 3 slots) can't I use high density chips? All i wanna know is, can that chip possibly work with what I have. Also, would it hurt my computer if I try it and it does not work. Thanks so incredibly much everyone. I truly appreciate it.

:eek:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Calm down :)

I think you are gonna be fine. Really. It would be really stupid if they advertised you could get 1.5 gigs of ram but that would not be achievable. I am pretty sure it will work. It cannot hurt your PC. All that could happen is that the PC will fail to boot if there is something wrong. Hope this helps a bit.

JAN :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Some motherboards support/like High Density chips .. some dont. Kinda luck of the draw unfortunately.