nervious about getting a ssd on a new pc. always had standard hd

I am building a new computer. My 10 yr old current pc 2 Seagate standard hd. All steam-origin-uplay games on 2nd hard drive, most programs on 2nd hard drive and backup and photos and music. Windows 7 on primary hd. with some windows applications. Always deleting temp files, update windows programs on primary driven, that cant put on 2nd drive. Never worry about drive wearing with limit it can read or write,
never had a hd. fail.

building new gaming pc, looking at evo1 terabyte ssd and 2nd hd. will be 3 terabyte standard hd. All games, backup, music pictures downloaded programs on 2nd hd.. Windows 10 on ssd and some programs that will only install on primary. There is still a lot of updating, cookies temp files email. I am always add and deleting and adjust these files. Want a hd. that will last 7 -8 yrs not worry about too much activity on ssd
will cause it to fail. will get paranoid

SO WHAT DO I DO SPEED OR LONGEVITY, DONT WANT TO REINSTALL WINDOWS 10 IN HD. FAILURE

OmniDyne

I am building a new computer. My 10 yr old current pc 2 Seagate standard hd. All steam-origin-uplay games on 2nd hard drive, most programs on 2nd hard drive and backup and photos and music. Windows 7 on primary hd. with some windows applications. Always deleting temp files, update windows programs on primary driven, that cant put on 2nd drive. Never worry about drive wearing with limit it can read or write,
never had a hd. fail.

building new gaming pc, looking at evo1 terabyte ssd and 2nd hd. will be 3 terabyte standard hd. All games, backup, music pictures downloaded programs on 2nd hd.. Windows 10 on ssd and some programs that will only install on primary. There is still a lot of updating, cookies temp files email. I am always add and deleting and adjust these files. Want a hd. that will last 7 -8 yrs not worry about too much activity on ssd
will cause it to fail. will get paranoid

SO WHAT DO I DO SPEED OR LONGEVITY, DONT WANT TO REINSTALL WINDOWS 10 IN HD. FAILURE

If all you're doing is using Windows and/ or gaming, you will never write enough information to wear out a modern SSD. It's safe to say at this point that an SSD is pretty much guaranteed to outlast a spinning hard disk drive. Put Windows and all programs on the SSD. That being said, always back up your computer.

Unless you're looking for a used SSD or money isn't an object, the price premium of new Samsung EVO drives really can't be justified. Just about every current SSD manufacturer has surpassed or met Samsung in price to performance/ warranty . In fact, a few manufacturers have surpassed Samsung altogether.

How much are you wanting to spend?

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
I casually write a bunch of shit to my 960 EVO. Over two years it's been about 20 terabytes and have done nothing to decrease writes, move the page file somewhere else, etc.

The drive's rated for 200 TBW. At that rate it's 'good' for another 18 years, to put it in perspective.

It sounds like you're just believing hysteria since you're unfamiliar with SSDs.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
SSD technology has come a long way in the past several years. Very soon it will become the standard so the quality of (most) of them has been upped several times over. Get an SSD and you'll never want a platter drive for anything other than large format storage again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
For an SSD drive, a 250gb is normally big enough for most users. You basically just want the OS and a few programs installed to it that will benefit from the faster load times. Everything else can be installed to a standard HDD.

OmniDyne

You could go with the 1TB Intel 660p for $99 (you can find it on sale for less than $90 frequently).

500GB SSDs can be found for around $50, and as John said you'd be fine with just a 250GB for OS and programs.

Again, how much are you wanting to spend? Once I know this I can give direct SSD suggestions.

is the evo drive better or worse than the intel 660p. For standard drives I always like Seagate but know nothing about ssd brands. I know evertything in my house , tv, blue ray player and s9 phone is Samsung, never a problem.

OmniDyne

I don't mind spending up to 140 for the best 1 terabyte ssd micro center wants to charge me 138 for the 1 terabyte evo drive.

At $129 the HP EX920 would be a far superior option because of speed and endurance, and it carries the same 5-year warranty. Like I said, Samsung hasn't really been able to remain competitive in the consumer SSD market.

https://www.newegg.com/hp-ex920-1tb/p/N82E16820326778

is the evo drive better or worse than the intel 660p

I wouldn't call it worse. There's a trade-off. The 660p is significantly cheaper but provides substantially faster read and writes. The 860 has significantly higher endurance. Would you notice the difference between the two? No, and they both carry a 5-year warranty.

I know evertything in my house , tv, blue ray player and s9 phone is Samsung, never a problem.

Brand really doesn't matter when it comes to SSDs.

The Western Digital Blue is also a solid option at $109 for the M.2 variant.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0A/dp/B073SB2MXT?th=1

The MX500 is one of the best SSDs on the market, but for $10 more you could go with the superior EX920.

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500-1tb/p/N82E16820156178

I would like to point out that endurance and speed mostly don't matter in the consumer SSD realm.

Last edited: