Netbook Internet questions

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay so i was thinking of getting a Netbook,Maybe the EEEpc and have a few questions regarding Wireless and basically getting the internet on it.

I'm probably going abroad around September time to Cyprus, I would love to take my Net book with me, but because im dumb when it comes to networking and wireless i have no clue how i would get internet on it?

Does the eeepc have built in wireless? Would it pick up any internet been in another country?

I just want to make sure it will even work for the internet...or theyre wouldnt be any point in taking it :)

Thanks

ScOuT

VIP Member
Would it pick up any internet been in another country?

I have been all over the world with my laptop and have used it wireless everywhere. (all across America, about 15 countries in Europe and about 10 countries in south west Asia) You will not have an issue with connecting in different countries. My laptop is over 2 years old also.

Does the eeepc have built in wireless?
All the Eee PC spec sheets I have seen have built in wireless. b/g/n seem to be the popular standard with these models. That's kinda the point of these small portable laptops;)
http://www.asusnotebooks.co.uk/

don't worry it'll be just easy as pie. So just ask for further instructions on the sales man when you are going to buy it. Also see some video guides on youtube i think they provide a guide video on how to do it.

PohTayToez

I've had an EEE for about a year now and I love it. Fantastic little machine that you can take anywhere, and they have awesome battery life. Getting connected to a wireless network is no sweat at all.

Quiltface

I as well have an Eee PC i love that little guy. Haven't had a lick of problems with it.
I got the 10" model, i cant imagine getting a smaller one though, the keyboard on the 10" model is 95% of a normal keyboard...(minus the 10key of course.)

speedyink

VIP Member
I guess it depends on the OS that's installed...the Xandros that comes on some of them is a royal pain in the ass for networking. Windows XP or windows 7 however run great on these things, and wireless networking is a cinch (especially in 7)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey thanks for your replies all greatly appreciated,

Okay wo i was looking around and the the cheapest Netbook i could get a Dell inspiron Mini.

dell%20inspiron%20mini%209%203.jpg

Features

Components
N-Series Intel® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)
Ubuntu 8.04
Alpine White back cover
1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
Integrated 1.3MP Camera
10.1" Widescreen WLED display (1024x576)
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
8GB Solid State Hard Drive
Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 950
Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
3-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (24 WHr)
Accessories
Services & Software
N-Series Only - No AntiVirus Selected
Also Includes
Mini 1011 Base with WLAN
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
English Documentation
N05B1001
1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
Inspiron Mini 1011 Order - UK
No Resource CD
No Software Application
UK/Ireland 30W AC Adapter

I would choose to have the 16gb SSD instead of 8 and probably install Xp on it,Or windows 7.

I was confused by this below though...what would i choose? :D Will either one work abroad?

dell.png
[/IMG]

Quiltface

The only thing i didnt like about the SSD is that they are so small... I saw on new egg a SSD drive that was 30GB for $120 i think. but still... I got the 160GB model. since it doesnt have a cd rom i like to put a few ISO on it and run power iso to mount them.

Also Im anti dell, I think their support and products are poor. but if the price is right for you i can't argue with ya about that. A dell netbook might not be too bad since they cant load it with crap.

LJN

banned
I did run 7 on the netbook, but I found it quite strange. I put the ubuntu verison on it and it runs very nicely. make sure you dual boot and get a good space Hard drive.

speedyink

VIP Member
I was confused by this below though...what would i choose? :D Will either one work abroad?

Either one will, one just has a better range and speed.

There is also nothing wrong with Dell's, I still have and love my Dell Inspiron 6400.

Also I don't know what's strange about windows 7 on a netbook...runs perfect on mine

PohTayToez

How much is the Dell? Also, you might want to look into getting one with a normal hard drive. Mine has a 20GB SSD, and while the speed of the SSD works somewhat to counter the weak processor, I think I would have rather have went with a normal hard drive between 80GB and 160GB (although they didn't offer it when I bought mine).

Although, I do have a lot of media on mine, so if you plan on using it strictly for small applications and interenet, 16GB will probably be fine.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more i read up on this Mini 10 the more i want it! The clips on youtube look amazing.

All together including the better Wireless 1510 option is £222.

Ive thought it through and,I think the 8gb SSD will be more than enough,I only want to install windows Xp which isnt very big and Firefox thats about it because it will be strictly for internet use.

I have an External 500Gb that i keep all my docs on anyway so i can just hook that up if i need to.

Im going to install Xp the USB data stick method....no need for cd drive!

Last edited:
If your netbook has Wifi router then only you can use wireless connection anywhere in the world but ya if you are having plug to surf then too you can use internet anywhere in the world..
138l1310.jpg