network: computer, laptop, ADSL

nickhall99

hi guys, new to the forum, and in desperate need of help.

Here are the things I have:

-ADSL router (wire only)
-Router (wireless and wire)
-Computer (wire only)
-Laptop (wire and wireless)
-quite a few LAN cables

Here is my plan:

I some how want my computer to connect to the internet, as well as my laptop (although the laptop would be wirelessly). At the same time, I would like both the laptop and the computer to recognise one another, allowing me to transfer files from one place to another.

My solution (which doesn't seem to work):
I connect my wireless router to the ADSL router. Then I connect the computer to the wireless router. The idea being that my laptop goes through the wireless router, meeting my computer, and then they would both go from there to the ADSL router. This also would mean that I wouldn't need to computer on to get the the ADSL router, I would just need the routers switched on (which is more or less permanently).
But here is the problem: For some reason, my computer now doesn't find the internet. Not only that, but neither device finds the other device, meaning I can't even transfer files anymore!

Basically, I appear to have messed the entire thing up. So, If you could just explain how I create the plan as if I had never created an original network, I'm sure things will be easier :p

I think that is everything. If you need anymore information, please ask me, I'll try to help as much as possible.

thank you in advance

anthonyrstanley

Just connect the computer and laptop to the Wireless and wired router.

And connect that router to the internet.

unless you need the adsl router. Buttttt if you need that there sould be a device that you can connect to that router to make it wireless. Just take out a router and go threw only one.

Last edited:

flip218

VIP Member
My solution (which doesn't seem to work):
I connect my wireless router to the ADSL router. Then I connect the computer to the wireless router. The idea being that my laptop goes through the wireless router, meeting my computer, and then they would both go from there to the ADSL router.

Yea that's how it should be set up.

I have a cable connection. I use a linksys modem and a linksys wireless router. I have my cable come into my cable modem ... then run a line from my cable modem to my router. My main pc is connected to my router via. ethernet cable ... my second pc is connected to the router via wireless pci card. When my laptop arrives I will connect to my router via wireless pcmcia card.

Right now both pcs can connect to the internet, doesn't matter if main pc is on or not. I can also share files between both pcs.

To share files you need to run the network wizard. And if you have any firewalls you need to enter each pc's ip address as a trusted pc and you must enable file sharing (with what ever folders you plan to share).

Also, if neither pc can connect to the internet ... you've got a problem.