New build restart after xp loading screen

bit4bit

New Member
Hi, just built a new set-up, as my motherboard blew on me, and I wanted to upgrade anyway.

Got a new:

PSU: Coolermaster real power 620W modular power supply
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit

kept the case, hard-drive, optical drive, floppy drive, and graphics card.

Anyway, I wired it all up, and it is booting OK, the motherboard screen loads, and then after that I get that message windows shut down unexpectedly...blah blah ( you know the one)...with the options:

-boot in safe mode
-boot in safe mode with nmetworking
-boot in safe mode with command prompt
-Start windows normally
-Start Windows with last known good configuration

No matter what option I choose, the XP loading screen appears, and afterwards the computer restarts.

Do you think the hard drive has gone?

I really need to get my data of there, as there is some important stuff, so what else can I try?

Thanks alot
 
Hard drives are not swappable. When you replace the motherboard, you have to reformat. You can try a repair before this, however.
 
what do you mean they are not swappable? I can't use the same hard-drive in two different motherboards without formatting? Why not? Both motherboards support SATA I, and the drive is SATA I, so why should it matter? Is is due to a different BIOS?

I (stupidly) have a single partition with xp and data both, and only 8MB unpartitioned space, which is not enough to do a second installation of xp, which I thought might work.

I tried repairing the current installation, but before repairing, it prompted me for an administrators pasword, which I don't know. Is there some kind of default for this, if no new one has been chosen?...I tried 1111, 0000, 8888, 1234...since they seemed obvious default passwords. (lol :) )

Also, what about using a second hard-drive somehow, to retrieve my data? My old motherboard is fried, so re-building the old system is out of the question.

Cheers
 
Your changing windows from an old mother board to new one so it needs to be reinstalled.
When you put the disc in follow the steps to set up windows do not press repair the first time you see it, it should give you the option again in a bit thats when you do it.
 
Hmmm ok thanks, I'll give it a try. I really don't want to lose the data though, so I gotta make sure I do it right. Can you elaborate some on which steps to take? I have put the cd in, and booted from CD, then there's a screen with three options (I can't remember them all now, but one is repair. I will find out after this and post the options).

Also, If that method still fails, can I put my hard drive into another PC as a secondary drive, then boot from the first drive, and use Partition Magic to partition the second drive so that windows is on one partition, and my data is another? Then can just delete windows off the partition, format that partition, and re-install it?....without having to touch the partition with my data on it.....or does that partition need to be formatted as well?
 
When the three options apear chose the first one
"to set up windows xp now, press enter"
it should find the version of windows on that drive
select that drive and do the repair command if there is no repair command then put you drive in another computer and just move all the stuff from the secondary drive to the main.
 
what do you mean they are not swappable? I can't use the same hard-drive in two different motherboards without formatting? Why not? Both motherboards support SATA I, and the drive is SATA I, so why should it matter? Is is due to a different BIOS?

It's the fact that after you install XP you have to install the motherboards drivers. Seeing as you're trying to start your computer with an old installation of XP with the old motherboards drivers on a computer with a different motherboard, it won't work.

If you really needed to salvage your files you could install a second hard drive and install XP on that one. Thus you could use one hard drive mainly for software and the other one for other files.
 
Back
Top