New build - RTX 4070 / Ryzen 5 5800X3D

h3donyst

Hey everyone,
This is my current build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU COOLER: DARK ROCK 4
MBO: ROG STRIX B450-PLUS GAMING
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Edition 8GB GDDR5
RAM: HyperX 16GB Predator DDR4 3200MHz CL16 KIT HX432C16PB3K2/16 *planning to upgrade to 32G but might not right away, PSU is priority
PSU: 650W VS Series™ VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® White Certified PSU *planning to upgrade to a more quality one as advised on this site

I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my gaming rig and could use some advice. I'm considering upgrading to a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 WindForce 2X OC 12G, 12GB GDDR6X and pairing it with a CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 100-100000651WOF. I'm wondering if this combination would be a good choice for a new build in terms of performance and compatibility.

One thing to note is that I currently have an ASUS B450F Gaming motherboard and unfortunately, I can't afford to change it right now. I've read on various forums that the RTX 4070 might experience around a 5% performance decrease due to the PCIe Gen3 slot on my motherboard. However, I'm okay with this compromise if it still offers a significant performance boost compared to my current setup.

Additionally, I'm also looking for recommendations for a suitable PSU upgrade within a budget of around 100€ or less. I want something reliable that can efficiently power my new GPU and CPU configuration without breaking the bank.

I do only 1080p gaming on a 144hz screen, with some Photoshop and graphics editing.

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I would start with the GPU and PSU upgrade first. See what you're getting in games, and if you're still not satisfied, then proceed with upgrading the CPU and RAM.

As for the PSU recommendations, there's a PSU Tier list that's really helpful in identifying good PSU's from the bad ones. https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I wouldn't hesitate with anything from Tier B or above on that list for your application.

After googling a lot, I went with (from your list, thanks) Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM750x, CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D and ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4070 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X

5700X3D is a lot cheaper in my country than 5800X3D, I took the cost difference and put it on PSU

Back