New build won't boot the OS from disc

mr_simon

New Member
Please bear with me as this is my first build.

All has gone smoothly, Windows 7 64 quickly got my new drivers (I was using my HDD in the new build), but I want to reinstall to start afresh.

I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to the DVD drive which it detected, and put Win7 in, and I now just have a black screen with a flashing _ cursor.

Where have I gone wrong!?
 
Doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong :) this is just how computers are :o

Change the boot order back to HDD, stick the disc in the drive in windows, see if it's detected. it might have gone bad. also try keeping your nomral boot order and just sticking the cd in and see what happens.
 
Hi linkin

I've tried a few discs and the drive doesn't pick any of them up. I have never had a problem with this drive before. I have a molex and the IDE plugged into it, if that is any help. There are lots of spare pins/slots on it, I may be overlooking something.
 
The win 7 x64 discs are picky at times, I haven't seen one do this, but when trying to install win 7 x64 on a system I built for a friend it wouldn't even find the disc the first few times, and I know a couple of people that had the same problem.

If you still have win7 installed, you can try going in and seeing if it can see the disc from there and run a chkdsk scan.

If that doesn't work and you still have a copy of Vista x64, install that and put the win7 disc in and upgrade vista rather than straight installing win7

=EDIT=

look at your last post, it would seem that if it is doing it with several discs, your CD drive may be on the way out.

you have the right connections in, the other slots are for other power methods and changing the device priority (slave, master etc) usually, aswell as sometimes slots for other connection options, there isn't anything you aren't doing right from the sounds of it
 
Argh! It sounds like you might be right, the drive was the only original component from the PC anyway so I'm not suprised. Though its very annoying as I want to show off my new build. (I jigsawed a window in the case so you can see inside =)

I will order a new one tomorrow evening, just incase anyone else has an idea of how to get it going.
 
If you have a spare DVD drive, before ordering one, try sticking that in there and see if it works to ensure that it is the DVD drive that has gone so you don't end up wasting your money.

And when you do get a new drive, make sure it is SATA not IDE so it is much quicker
 
I will definitely get a SATA drive, as for testing it out with a spare drive, I will have to raid my brothers when he is at work :)

Cheers, I'll come back when I know more tomorrow, bed beckons now
 
If its an IDE drive, make sure the jumper is set correctly to either master or cable select and not slave.
 
Back
Top