new comp help PLZ

eatbutt

im looking to get good gaming comp under $1k! we need good graphics and of corse... speed. i found one which i think looks really good but then again i dont know much about computers. i found it at Cyberpowersystem.com (any positive/negative input on the site?) and this is what i found...
[Athlon64/64 FX]

Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display
CASUPGRADE: 12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT (GREEN COLOR)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard
MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
MODEM: PCI 56K V.92 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
MOTHERBOARD: (939pin Sckt)MSI RS480M2IL ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset SATA PCIE w/Video,LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&Audio
MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: ATI RADEON X700 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
_PRICE: (+901)

Last edited:

Daveb2012

eatbutt said:
im looking to get good gaming comp under $1k! we need good graphics and of corse... speed. i found one which i think looks really good but then again i dont know much about computers. i found it at Cyberpowersystem.com (any positive/negative input on the site?) and this is what i found...
[Athlon64/64 FX]

Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display
CASUPGRADE: 12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT (GREEN COLOR)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard
MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
MODEM: PCI 56K V.92 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
MOTHERBOARD: (939pin Sckt)MSI RS480M2IL ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset SATA PCIE w/Video,LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&Audio
MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: ATI RADEON X700 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+7]
_PRICE: (+901)

buying a pre-built computer is something I would never do, but then again building with no experience also is. If you even have avg experience I suggest building your own.

basically building your own can save you anywhere from 100-300.00 for labor that you can pocket or put back into the system. if you decide to take that route I can help you as best I can over the forums.

if you dont take that route that system does seem to be worth the money considering the specs.

eatbutt

well its buying from that site which is kinda like all the other sites, just this one seems to be alot cheaper. alienware u build ur own, just like other sites, and i dont know anything about hardware. besides shipping is free on this bad boy too... keep em coming folks

nevinenigma

for your budget I'd go with a 128mb 6600gt over the 256mb x700, the x700pro was made to compete with the 6600gt and gets beat in almost everything by the 6600gt. That should show you a bit where the non pro x700 stands compared to the 6600gt(don't wory about the memory difference, having a lot of video ram means nothing if the video card's gpu can't utilize it).
If anyone wants to crack about my crap card with 256mb, the card was a gift.

eatbutt

so is 6600gt goinna be able to handle good stuff? like battlefront and kotor, cs, sw galaxies? and which is better nVida or ATI RADEON? and if i get the 6600gt will i need anoter motherboard?
and again, sorry, is NVIDIA Geforce 6600 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD better than the ATI on there now?
and keep the replys on the original topic everyone plz, i need info from u guys before parents will let me get a comp lol

nevinenigma

I've read the regular x700 will perform better than the 6600, but if theres a choice for the 6600gt go with it, there is a huge performance difference(again disregard the memory amount). The 6600gt will handle most new games at full settings(mind you not the largest resolution). The 6600gt comes in both agp and pci-e so there should be no changing of the motherboard.

Last edited:

zerosweet

If you have any experience at all or know anyone close to you who does, I suggest building your own, i just got done with my second one, it's cheaper, you get what YOU want not something preassembled, it's fun, great to know how to do, and you learn to appreciate your computer a lot more.

zerosweet

however if your not into that, the computer than you mention has great specs, and for under 1k it sounds like a good buy, as long as they dont give you some crap that doesent work and wont give you money back... that would suck

the 6600gt performs way better than an x700. Perhaps you might want to get a larger hard drive from maxtor(optional) or more better would be the best corsair ram avilable with the system(very recommended). Also get the pioneer dvd+_burner(optional)/ perhaps a better motherboard(optional). Upgrade to the Creative Blaster Modem (recommended). And to make your case look great SILVERSTONE SST-FP52-S Multifunction Panel(recommended). And get a logitech Z-230 for around $40 instead of that 600watt stereo speakers.
Roger

tomb08uk

A 6600 GT 256 will run the games perfectly, also be SLi means could have 2 connected, but make sure you get a SLi compatible motherboard.

eatbutt

i mean the 6600 GT 126 and all that stuffs great damasta, but i need to keep this under a grand and right now its sitting at 956. also i was actually thinking of DOWNing the 160 HD to an 80, would that have any performance falws or just less space? cuz right now im running a 40GB HD and only have used half of it... ty for all the info

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
for your budget I'd go with a 128mb 6600gt over the 256mb x700, the x700pro was made to compete with the 6600gt and gets beat in almost everything by the 6600gt
Well the X700 line is disconned too :)

Is this company good or are the prices too good to be true?
Since this is an oem system you dont get to find all or change the neat information like motherboard or PSU make

There have been complaints of bad service,etc on them just like dell. If you're lucky, it'll be a good deal, if not...
everyone's got those complaints tho

and if i get the 6600gt will i need anoter motherboard?
provided you get an AGP card for an AGP motherboard or a PCIE card for a PCIE board you'll be ok

I've read the regular x700 will perform better than the 6600
both cards have their strengths but the card here in question is the 6600GTnot the 6600

A 6600 GT 256 will run the games perfectly, also be SLi means could have 2 connected, but make sure you get a SLi compatible motherboard.
And that you have the PCIE card ;)

mean the 6600 GT 126 and all that stuffs great damasta
The performance difference isnt gonna be earthshattering