new computer has died

newby1

Hi,
recently bought my first computer. (Pentium IV 3.4Ghz, prescott 64 bit processor, Maxtor 200gb hard drive, gigabyte motherboard, ATI Radeon Graphics card.) I also bought some music software (Steinberg Nuendo) and
an audio/midi interface (Edirol UA 25).

The computer is supposed to be new but I got it reasonably cheap off ebay so I'm not so sure.

When I got it, it had windows XP pro loaded on but the disc was not included in the price. So I played around with it for a while and it seemed fine.

Then just the other day I tried to load the new windows XP operating system
on it. I chose the full format. After a good hour and a half it finished but said that formatting couldn't be completed. So I then chose the quick format and
windows loaded.

I then loaded the graphics drivers. No problem. But there was another set of drivers which included directx and the onboard sound drivers. Now because I wanted to use the external unit, I had been advised to leave the onboard drivers uninstalled and turn it off in the bios.

Still everything seemed o.k. Then I loaded Nuendo, adobe acrobat, and nero.

Everything seemed fine. I turned off the computer. But later when I turned it back on, the screen was green with stripes and totally distorted. I tried again
but the screen went black and the computer wouldn't shut down.

Obviously I'm sending it back, I asked for my money back but he said no but he would fix it. But I'm worried I'll get it back and the same thing will happen.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
That could be many problems, but I know many Radeon GFX cards have caused similar problems. Faulty cards and such. What'st he model number and all?

newby1

Hi it's a radeon 9550 (saphire - ATI) 256mb I think they're pretty cheap.

I also had trouble loading drivers. There's several network drivers on one disc. Including
directx, usb drivers, which I loaded and the realtek onboard soundcard driver which I left off. But a message flashed up momentarily saying that for some reason they might not work properly.

The memory is a cheap version as well, Elixir I think it is. Which was annoying because he had advertised it as kingston.

penguinrusty

the radeon 9550's are just fine. I have the 9250 and it works great. What memory is Elixir? The memory on the GFX card or the computer memory? I know that ATI uses elixr memory...