New & First Build

peterpopanut

New Member
Looking to get my feet wet here... please peice together a very cheap build with the parts coming from newegg.com. IF all goes well, then I will try my hand at a much better build. Just not wanting to throw away a ton of money if I just don't a knack for it.

Thanks in advance, Peter!
 
So you're looking to do a practice build? Are you using Windows or an open source OS?

How cheap do you want it, exactly?
 
Yep, just a practice build. I could put whatever in it... I have not messed with linux... maybe this will the time that for as well... I am, however, able to put anything from XP to 7 on it.

Really, the cheaper the better. I would like for it to be able to surf the web just fine and do word docs. I may end up giving the comp to one of my reletives once I'm done tinkering with it.
 
What does "surf the web just fine" mean? Most any computer can load the average web page, but not all of them can handle heavy flash sites like Youtube. Believe it or not quite a few struggle with flash games. The computer in my sig struggles with youtube on low quality.
 
True that, haha.

One more question: Would you like it to be newer parts, or is older tech ok to use?
 
So long as there isn't a big difference in how the parts go together, older tech should be fine...

Thanks for all the replies by the way...
 
No problem :)

Mobo- ASRock A785GMH- $73 after shipping (The chipset supports GPU accelleration...this will extend its useful life)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157177

RAM- OCZ Gold 2x1GB- $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227124

PSU- Thermaltake TR2 430W- $37
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB- $45 (free shipping, so it's the cheapest non-crappy drive available)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148451

DVD drive- LG GH24NS50- $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

Total- $219 Before the CPU


CPU-1 - AMD Sempron 140- $32 (2.7GHz single core) (total $251)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

CPU-2 - AMD Athlon II 240- $58 (2.8GHz dual core) (total $277) (I'd take this one...single cores are quickly falling behind in usefulness)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688

Alternatively, if you want to practice putting on an aftermarket HSF:

Athlon II 240 OEM- $53
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103714

Cooler Master RR-H101-22FK-RA- $21
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103075

Arctic Silver 5- $13
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007
 
Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks again for the pieces... Hopefully I wont goof this up too bad... wish me luck!

Just wanted to be sure... this is EVERYTHING I would need i.e. cables and such?... just want to be sure... thanks!
 
Back
Top