New MoBo/CPU!!! Any suggestions?

Bobo

banned
Well the A64 is a good choice, especially for OCing. As to which core, it really shouldn't matter, you won't notice any difference in normal usage.

b182tm

Sweet. It really just depends on the temps. to me. I think I might get the San DIego, 3700+, because of all the great stuff I've heard. Just curious, is San DIego the newer of the 3? (Venice, San Diego, Clawhammer?)

Thanks,
D

Geoff

VIP Member
b182tm said:
Sweet. It really just depends on the temps. to me. I think I might get the San DIego, 3700+, because of all the great stuff I've heard. Just curious, is San DIego the newer of the 3? (Venice, San Diego, Clawhammer?)

Thanks,
D
I think venice is the newest, followed my San Diego and then Clawhammer. But correct me if im wrong.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Budget: $350.00. Preferably around $300.00 or so.
Required:
-PCI-Express x 16. I am currently using a 6600GT
-SATA
-This is my RAM, GeIL PC3200 <http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=55> so it has to work with that.
-Floppy drive port
-2 CD ports
-Cool idle is VERY VERY Important to me. NO PRESCOTT's!!!! I just looked, all P4 HT processors are Prescott....WTF? I seriously hate high temps, they stress me out...

Optional:
-About 4 PCI slots
-Firewire
- ASUS A8R-MVP [RX200CF] ($102.99)
- AMD Athlon64 3500 [Venice(DH-E3), S939, ADA3500DAA4BP] ($201.00)
Subtotal: $303.99

- MSI 945PL NeoF [i945P] ($86.00)
- Intel Pentium D 920 [LGA775, Presler, BX80553920] ($267.00)
Subtotal: $353.00

Bobo

banned
If you are going to choose between the two that Praetor listed, I would definitely go with the AMD setup. Pentiums run somewhat hot, and the Asus mobo is better than the MSI board.

b182tm

Dang, I didnt catch the last few threads before I ordered. Well, I ended up ordering the A64 3500+ Venice, and the ASUS A8N5X. So same CPU as above, and I think maybe a step or two down on the motherboard. I wish I would have caught that post before I ordered. Oh well, it will still work fine. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys,
D

tweaker

VIP Member
Bobo said:
The other option was the P4D. These run really hot. They are a cheap dual-core option, but they suck.

Bobo you've got some serious reading up to do. :rolleyes:

b182tm said:
Dang, I didnt catch the last few threads before I ordered. Well, I ended up ordering the A64 3500+ Venice, and the ASUS A8N5X. So same CPU as above, and I think maybe a step or two down on the motherboard. I wish I would have caught that post before I ordered. Oh well, it will still work fine. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys,
D

To bad when you could have had yourself a dual core setup for 50 bucks more.

But anyways I'll think it's gonna suit you fine for your needs. :)

b182tm

Yeah, I know it is more future proof, and better performance, but given that I just use it for every day use, and nothing real heavy or professional, I dont think I really would have noticed a difference. (Not from what I've read at least). Maybe in a few years. And it looks like the main difference in my mobo and Praetor's suggested, is the North Bridge chipset, looks like SLi, onboard audio, FireWire, and SATA II, which sucks, but im running SATA 1. So There's some more performance on Prae's, but not really any life changing differences. :) Thanks again.

D

Bobo

banned
Tweaker said:
Bobo said:
he other option was the P4D. These run really hot. They are a cheap dual-core option, but they suck.
Bobo you've got some serious reading up to do. :rolleyes:

Did I really say that?!?!?! :eek: Well ignore it, I dunno where that came from, but it doesn't sound like something that I could say :D maybe I was tired

Anyway, maybe you should all ignore everything I say, and maybe I should shut up, and then maybe this world would be a much better place, and maybe I am just rambling on aimlessly because I am bored

Anyway, back on topic.

Except that this thread is over cause he bought the stuff

AdmnPower

VIP Member
liuliuboy said:
well they're a budget processor, and for his budget an sempron would be too low end.

some semprons are 64-bit, and that sempron could be 64-bit

mine is a 64bit processor