New Monitor soon...

Tha Killa

Hi, I was planning on getting a LCD Monitor, around 17". And i came across this one... *here*
Is this a good monitor? can anyone suggest a better one for around that price?
What do I need to look for in LCD monitors? Is this monitor up-to-date?
This will be used for gaming purposes. :D

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I won't buy such a monitor (not just because I'm a CRT fan) because it's almost noname and the 16 ms response time (if this specification is true, which I seriously doubt) means that the max fps you could get out of it is only 62.5.

Tha Killa

Lorand said:
I won't buy such a monitor (not just because I'm a CRT fan) because it's almost noname and the 16 ms response time (if this specification is true, which I seriously doubt) means that the max fps you could get out of it is only 62.5.

Hmm, well i checked other lcds at newegg.com and most if not all of them are 16ms response time... are you sure you remember that correctly?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
There are 8 ms response time LCD monitors too. But not the 16 ms is the problem. If Sony or LG (or whatever brand name manufacturer) says that their monitors have 16 ms response time, the measured (real) response time could be 17, 18, but not much more. But if a noname monitor's specification states that the response time is 16 ms then it could be even 24 in the real life... and that really sucks when gaming: only 50+ fps.
Besides, at entry-level LCD monitors the lower response times are achieved with all kind of dirty tricks (image blending, fewer colors, etc.). So if you want a monitor for gaming purposes, you have to buy a brand name (and not cheap) LCD or a CRT.

Last edited:

Tha Killa

Someone mentioned this monitor at another forum. Do you think this will be good for gaming? Oh and, do i need to get a better gfx card? I am only using a Geforce 4 MX Integrated right now.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
That monitor is ok.
About the video card wait for others to reply (I'm not a gamer). But if it's integrated on the motherboard it's surely crappy...

Tha Killa

Could anyone reccommend any flat CRT monitors? (I'd prefer the price to be around $100) I might decide to get a flat CRT, new graphics card (found a Radeon 9800 SE for $110. Anyone else got a better deal?), and get a new case for my computer.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
A really good CRT monitor is LG Flatron F900P (19") or F700P (17") if your budget is tighter. Unfortunately they are discontinued products, but if you're lucky you might find somewhere one for sale.

Tha Killa

Those 2 monitors cost too much for me :(
This monitor is somewhat similar though. Compaq S720
the dot pitch is .1mm more
its a 17 in. monitor
Hscan and Vscan are not as high though. Do these matter much?

LG Flatron F900P
Hscan: 30-111kHz Vscan: 50-200Hz

Compaq S720
Hscan: 30-85kHz Vscan: 50-160Hz

Thanks for helping me a lot.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
That difference in dot-pitch isn't a big deal.
Most important thing is the hscan value. The specifications state that the highest supported resolution is 1600 x 1200, but it says nothing about what refresh rate supports the monitor at this resolution. It can be approximated by 85 kHz / 1200 = 70 Hz, so it's far from being ergonomic. But at lower resolutions it can support 85 Hz, which is enough.