New Motherboard keeps rebooting

dena

I just installed a PC Chips K7 motherboard M863g and I can't get it to stop rebooting. I am using a 300 watt PS 256 meg DDRram Athlon XP chip. Won't even boot to safe mode. Can anyone suggest a solution?
Thanks in advance

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When u boot up, check the BIOS and in there, the hardware monitor ... what are the temperatures and what are the voltages like? :)

dena

Thanks so much. I checked all of that and it was just as cool as a cucumber and the PS was running fine.

Last night I finally figured it out. I was replacing only the motherboard so the hard drive which had Win XP Pro on it was not liking the new motherboard. I guess they have a secret code embedded in the software somewhere...geez. Anyway, I reinstalled Win XP Pro as a repair and all my files were fine and everything worked.

I sure appreciate your taking the time to help me out though. Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Last night I finally figured it out. I was replacing only the motherboard so the hard drive which had Win XP Pro on it was not liking the new motherboard. I guess they have a secret code embedded in the software somewhere...geez. Anyway, I reinstalled Win XP Pro as a repair and all my files were fine and everything worked.
Not really that but more that, when you change major components in a system, you need to reinstall the OS :)

I sure appreciate your taking the time to help me out though. Thanks
Not a problem, glad to help :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Praetor said:
Not really that but more that, when you change major components in a system, you need to reinstall the OS :)

Actually you don't, but it makes things a lot smoother. You can also boot up with your old hardware still in, remove every device then shutdown and replace. There are also rare cases where people have gotten everything running without reinstalling OS or removing devices. One problem is when going from a non ASUS to an ASUS mobo you usually need to format the HD

krazykarl

do yourself a favour, dont ever get a PC chips board again, or anything else made by or even affiliated with ECS. they make garbage.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
do yourself a favour, dont ever get a PC chips board again, or anything else made by or even affiliated with ECS. they make garbage.
Generically true with the exception of their new Socket939 boards as well as the engineering marvel/novalty of AGP Express.

krazykarl

Ill admit that the AGP express is a novel idea, but the way they went about it makes it kinda useless. You get a huge performance hit routing the AGP bus through a standard PCI bus.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Very true ... more of a novelty than anything .. its nice to see ECS come out with a fancy thing for once tho :p