New SSD Recommendations

LooN3y

Hey all,

I my 870 EVO samsung sata 4tb drive failed, I'm assuming after lots of hours trying to reformat it. 3rd party software says format is complete but its in the same state, windows and mac default disk managers both cant reformat it although it say its in a 'healthy' state. Literally did everything from all the commands for CHKDSK to 3rd party softwares and tried reformatting on both my mac and desktop.

Can anyone recommend me what model/brand I should get next? I've only had 2 drives fail in my entire life that I've personally owned and this was about 2 years old.

Is it better to purchase it from a brick and mortar? I'm just really surprised an SSD just failed so it got me parinoid that I either got a defect or refurbised SSD when I purchased from Amazon.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just like an old mechanical hard drive, an SSD can fail at any time. They are less likely to fail but still can. As far as brands I usually go Samsung or Western Digital.

So you would have the options of either the 870 EVO, 870 QVO, Western Digital Blue or Western Digital SA510.