New system build - Need advice

SkyBum

Purpose:
Primary: Gaming Rig.
Secondary: (Some) video editing (large hi-8 to dvd archival/editing project coming up). Maximum storage space is somewhat important.
I will be learning to OC from A to Z with this rig, OC ability is very important.

Cost:
Secondary to performance. I can spend whatever is necessary to build a quality higher end system.

What I've purchased so far:
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
Ultra X-connect 500w power supply.
Lite-On 832s DVD/RW
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra
Logitech MX-1000

What I am currently considering:
AMD 3500+ 90nm (939) (fairly confident)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (939) (very much undecided)
OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 (Willing to spend whatever it takes here, can I do better?)
Heat sink/fan (??? Thermalright XP 120 wont fit my MB of choice)

Storage: I have 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200 60gb raid stripe (data) and a Maxtor 40gb (windows/apps) in previous system, I can either integrate the Barracudas into the new system or leave them behind and use 2 new 200 - 300gb in the new system. No raid this time around. (any suggestions?)

Sound: I have an Audigy Platinum which I will most likely leave behind in favor of an Audigy 2 ZS (or ZS Platinum).

Video: This is a tough one for me. I recently refused delivery of an ATI X800 Pro ($291!!!) and have been kicking myself ever since but I really need an AIW version for my video project. Problem is, no telling when ATI will actually ship an AIW X800 card. Should I buy an AIW 9800 Pro and wait for the AIW X800 PRO later or even just hobble along on my AIW 8500DV until the new cards come out? Really undecided here.....

Also needed:
Floppy Drive
Rounded Cables

Am I missing anything else here?

Thanks for any suggestions you care to make :)

EMO-TOCROSS

First off, this is gonna be short because i have to get back to class in 3 minuites, I'll finish later.

I dont think you stated how much ram.. thats a must know...
For the video card, you might want to consider going down a bit on the processor? I have an AMD XP 2500+ Barton Core and I use my computer for Photoshop editing, Video Editing, and Hours of Doom 3, Sims 2, Counter strike, Call of Duty, etc... My computer never lags

save some cash on those parts and get a XT800

SkyBum

1 Gb Ram.

I'm all for buying the X800 XT but I also need to archive 60+ hours of Hi-8 video to DVD which would seem to limit me to the available All-In-Wonder cards.

I just spoke to an ATI rep and he claims that ATI will be shipping AIW versions of the X800 Pro and X800 XT in mid-november (though past experience suggests that it will likely be much longer than that before these cards are shipped in any noticable quantities).

Any chance that nForce 4 boards will ship prior to 2005? Hell, if I'm waiting for a damn video card, maybe I should hang tight on the whole system and see what happens with the new MoBo's.

EMO-TOCROSS

If you have the patience, I would suggest waiting. On the ATI Date, I would add about a month more of what the person you talked to said, from past experience with many different companies. But if you are in need of a computer soon, go with the system you specc'd out. It'd be one hell of a system. I doubt you would ever run into lack of performance with it. But who know's what these manufacturer's will come up with now a days... who knows... :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD 3500+ 90nm (939) (fairly confident)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (939) (very much undecided)
OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 (Willing to spend whatever it takes here, can I do better?)
You'll be much better off with Athlon4000 and less than uber-ram (especially if you're "willing to spend anything") -- why? Because the Athlon64-4000 is essentially a locked FX53. If you want the memory then get the highest rated memory you can find, something like PC4400

In general it might be worth the wait for the NF4 with PCIx support (and most liktely DDR2 hot on the tails)

I recently refused delivery of an ATI X800 Pro ($291!!!) and have been kicking myself ever since but I really need an AIW version for my video project. Problem is, no telling when ATI will actually ship an AIW X800 card. Should I buy an AIW 9800 Pro and wait for the AIW X800 PRO later or even just hobble along on my AIW 8500DV until the new cards come out? Really undecided here.....
Prolly be better to get a dedicated video input card :)

you might want to consider going down a bit on the processor?
For video apps thats prolly the worst thing to do :)

save some cash on those parts and get a XT800
1. The X800XT is more expensive than the X800Pro
2. The X800Pro is more expensive than the 6800GT

also need to archive 60+ hours of Hi-8 video to DVD which would seem to limit me to the available All-In-Wonder cards.
Why would the limitation be AIW? The limitation is the HDD space.

Any chance that nForce 4 boards will ship prior to 2005? Hell, if I'm waiting for a damn video card, maybe I should hang tight on the whole system and see what happens with the new MoBo's.
Maybe :)

If your primary purpose is Gaming and then Video, get a solid proc, a gaming video card, 1GB solid memory and then a PCI video input card :)

SkyBum

Praetor said:
You'll be much better off with Athlon4000 and less than uber-ram (especially if you're "willing to spend anything") -- why? Because the Athlon64-4000 is essentially a locked FX53. If you want the memory then get the highest rated memory you can find, something like PC4400

Honestly, I hadn't considered the 4000 as being worth the extra cash but to hear it coming from someone as value/cost concious as yourself, it does give me cause to reconsider.

In general it might be worth the wait for the NF4 with PCIx support (and most liktely DDR2 hot on the tails)

My gut tells me to wait, but my mind is screaming to just get on with it. The 'ol 1800+, A7V-266e, 8500dv just aint cuttin it these days. In fact it's running like sludge lately. I might make it as far as early December but I doubt I'll make it as far as January (I should probably admit here that Half Life 2 is no small factor in that). Any chance of the new parts seeing retail in that timeframe?

Prolly be better to get a dedicated video input card :)

Excellent advice. Hadn't even considered that.

Why would the limitation be AIW? The limitation is the HDD space.

I guess I meant that I had to have a video input option available, your advice above solves that prob nicely :) I want to put about 500-600gb in this system, though I imagine I could get by on slightly less. Just a matter of finding the right price/performance combination....

If your primary purpose is Gaming and then Video, get a solid proc, a gaming video card, 1GB solid memory and then a PCI video input card :)

Thanks Praetor! If you have the time, would you be willing to spec a complete system (box only, not periphials) based on available parts that would meet my needs as described above? Don't worry about listing the prices, just your recommendations. Like I said, I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to build a higher end system that I can get through another 2 years with, though I also don't see any need to throw away money unnecessarily just to get to the bleeding edge of performance.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I hadn't considered the 4000 as being worth the extra cash but to hear it coming from someone as value/cost concious as yourself, it does give me cause to reconsider.
The only reason I would consider the 4000 (and I am for myself) is the fact that its, in almost all respects, a FX53.

I might make it as far as early December but I doubt I'll make it as far as January
More than enough time to hit the computer shows before december

should probably admit here that Half Life 2 is no small factor in that
HL2 isnt as intensive as they make it out to be :)

Like I said, I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to build a higher end system that I can get through another 2 years with, though I also don't see any need to throw away money unnecessarily just to get to the bleeding edge of performance.

CPU
-Athlon64-3500 (Newcastle) or Athlon64-3800(Newcastle) or Athlon64-4000 (Winchester)
- Select according to budget. The reason I opted for the 3500(Newcastle) was because you'd be selecting the 3500 as the cheapest option and the Newcastle is cheaper than the Winchester

MOBO
-ASUS A8V Deluxe
-pwnd. :D

RAM
1GB [512x2] PC4000 (or PC37000)
-A "dual channel kit" isnt horribly neccesary (nice but not worth the cost to me). Getting higher spec'd memory allows you to OC with relative comfort. Brand isnt horribly important just so long as you dont get no-name memory

HDD1
-Western Digital 36GB Raptor SATA 10K
- Fastest per cost drive available, use this drive for your boot

HDD2/3
- Western Digital 160GB 8MB 7.2K PATA
- Solid pair of drives

OPTICAL 1
- Pioneer 108
- Standard drive, tons of support available for it

OPTICAL 2
- LiteOn 52x32x52x16
- Face it, DVDburners suck for burning CDs. The DVDROM here allows you to read/rip without trashing the burner

SOUND
-Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
- The Plat's arent worth it IMHO

VIDEO
- 6800GT 256MB (therefore this excludes the ASUS which 'violated' nvidia's thing that GTs would have 256MB)
- Absolute best perf/cost card available period

OTHER
- Cooling. Get some nice cooling whether it be forced air, vapor, water etc. Realistically you prolly shouldnt need more than say a Thermaltake Venus12 + fan controller (to tone down the noise at times)
- Cooling. If the memory doesnt come with spreaders, get some.
- Cooling. Fans for the drives. Even something simple like pointing a 80mm fan in the general direction of the drive is sufficient
- Power. Get a solid power supply -- none of this noname crap ... and Raidmax = noname
- Case. Whatever looks good to you.

Some considerations
-If you want 2-year lifespan, jack the proc to the FX53/4000.
-Smacking another 1GB (either 512x4 or 1024x2) cant hurt -- especially with the video apps.
- Odds are you'll want to jack the drives to a pair of 250GB PATA drives and maybe some high capacity SATA drives too I just picked 160GBs because they are 'standard' drives

And if you happen to be anywhere in the vacinity of Waterloo, ON, Canada (or even know where it is), I can prolly set you up too! :)

SkyBum

Damn you're fast! :D

Thanks, I think this gives me much more confidence that I can make some good choices (and I was seriously lacking there).

My plan ATM is to hang tight and see what the end of november brings as far as nForce 4 goes as well as better pricing. If I reach the point where I just cant stand to wait any longer I will definitely use your specs as a guide.

I'll be sure and post a follow up here to let you what I ended up with.

Once again, thanks for the help.....very informative site here!