New system, old hard drive, can't access internet

RebelX

Recently I just decided to build myself a gaming rig. I got all the parts, put them all together, and decided to use my old hard drive. I connected the LAN cable to my Evga 780i motherboard and booted up Windows. I got errors, and fixed a majority of them, but I can't seem to fix my internet. I have two internet icons in the system tray; one computer with a red "X" and one with an exclamation point. I don't really know how to fix it. We had a Time Warner guy come to our house today (we have Road Runner) to install HD, and he was also the guy that was going to try and fix my computer. He had no luck doing so. My dad told me that I had to get a new IP address or something like that. But I don't know exactly what I have to do!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tremmor

a place to start :

for xp only:
start run sysdm.cpl
hardware tab
device manager

see any issues?
exclamation? if ya do try double clicking and
force it to fix automatically. if not and your service
is built on the motherboard you can load from there.
the motherboard disk. an installation might be missing.

RebelX

I fixed it.

I installed the motherboard drivers about three times and I found that during the installation, I could access the internet at one point. When I install the "NVIDIA Network Controller" (or whatever it's called), that's when my internet gets messed up. Thanks for the help though.

Last edited: