New to wireless networking.

Jroc124

Hello to all,

I have a Hp pavilion notebook zv6000. My wireless connection is great at home. The problem is at work I get next to nothing . They come up but will not connect or says nothing in range. I'm interested in buying a network card adapter for my notebook. I am thinking about getting a Netgear Rangemax Wpn 511 or a Belkin Pre-N Network notebook card. I just want something to bring in the signal better then I have been getting. Can someone help me with these a recommendation or something. O/S is windows professional xp sp2 . Built in card is a Broadcom 54g 802.11b/g WLan with 125hsm.

Thank You,
jroc124

alanuofm

VIP Member
Jroc124 said:
Hello to all,

I have a Hp pavilion notebook zv6000. My wireless connection is great at home. The problem is at work I get next to nothing . They come up but will not connect or says nothing in range. I'm interested in buying a network card adapter for my notebook. I am thinking about getting a Netgear Rangemax Wpn 511 or a Belkin Pre-N Network notebook card. I just want something to bring in the signal better then I have been getting. Can someone help me with these a recommendation or something. O/S is windows professional xp sp2 . Built in card is a Broadcom 54g 802.11b/g WLan with 125hsm.

Thank You,
jroc124

how far are you from work?

Trizoy

VIP Member
Well what are you trying to conenct to? A home network? Or the work network from home? Range for a wireless network is probably a half mile *at most.. If you dont have your own netowrk at home, which is connected to a wireless router.. then thats your problem. You may be able to pick up your neighbors network, but that is not entirely legal :)

Jroc124

I trying to connect to a work network while I'm at work. Internet etc....... Signal is not that strong in and out.

Trizoy

VIP Member
It could be your loaction in comparison to the transmitter or oruter.. Do you know where the trasmitter of the wirless is at? Can you see it while at your desk? It may be out of the general area, around a few corners.. Ask the tech guys to put in one next to your desk. :)

Advitiya Saxena

Someone told me that external WI-Fi card give some range advantage over internal one's. I think the signal may be boosted with the use of external card but if u dont get any network with internal then it looks hard.

ViperGTS19801

1) When you are at work, if they have internet access and a wireless router, read the company's Acceptable Use Policy. I can bet you that it forbids the use of the internet through their connections for anything not related to work.

2) If you are using your laptop to connect to a wireless netowkr you do not own, it is called theft.

3) If your wireless network is at home, 40 miles away, don't expect to get any signal at all. One hundred feet is the general rule inside a building from any given wireless router (unamplified).

shupola

did you switch your network when you got to work? im sure they are not the same network? i dont know much about this subject though, but just a thought