new USB Printer & the Network

mumbles

I am building a small home network and are getting a new printer,scanner,Photocopier[MFP] as they are usb conection now and these can be pluged in while the computers are on do I,

1 just plug it in to the computer that needs a printer at the time

2 Do I set it up as part of the network then the computer with it pluged into must also be on ,

3 Can you put a hub on the printer and have the 4 computers on the network plug into the hub then only one computer and the printer needs only to be on.

I think that is it what do you think

Last edited:

magicman

VIP Member
If you plug the printer into a pc the pc would have to be on in order to print. The best solution in my opinion would be to find yourself a usb splitter, and connect each pc into that. I haven't tried it before, but I believe each pc would then recognise the printer as "belonging to it".

How many pc's are you networking?

mumbles

magicman said:
If you plug the printer into a pc the pc would have to be on in order to print. The best solution in my opinion would be to find yourself a usb splitter, and connect each pc into that. I haven't tried it before, but I believe each pc would then recognise the printer as "belonging to it".

How many pc's are you networking?

there will be three all the time with a fourth for [ Bridge ]sorry old joke gaming at times but that would not need a printer or would they. The Laptop could come home from work at times also.
I have the Billion 5100 router so they can all be on the net shame you can not plug in to the router then the printer would become part of the network

Is that a little SiFi when will it be Si Fact

Withthat good night