Newb with computer issues..

CloudSportRacer

I am working on my dads computer which is a Compaq Presario 5000 series... 5005cl to be exact... Well, A long while back we loaded Win XP Pro, so it does not run ME anymore... But it still has 128mb of ram which I know is not good to run with XP but it was keeping up just fine and we were running the computer with XP for maybe 1 and a half years before this issue..

Well, I have been having issues on starting the computer.. The computer starts up fine as it seems.. But when it gets to the boot screen, it just continues to stay on that screen for maybe ten minutes then restarts... I am trying to figure what the problem is so my dad can use his computer again.. Do any of you guys think you may know what it is? Thanks in advance...

SFR

Truth fears no questions
THE POST (power on self test) is most likely finding an error and upon error, restarts the machine and goes throught he boot proccess again.. and again.

When your machine first starts press F8 and you will be taken to an options menu that has options such as safe mode, last known good configuration, debugging mode and others. I would try the last known good configuration option.