Newbie PC upgrade questions.

mikemmx

Well I have a 4 year(or 3 1/2) old HP Pavillion.
--
specs.
ASUSTek motherboard
P4 1.7
GeForce FX 5200 video card.
576 SDRAM.
--
anyways, Its pretty old and I want to upgrade the processor to a P4 3.0 what HT.
if I upgrade the processor will i need to upgrade anything else? like motherboard?
cause I dont think HT existed back-then when I purchase the PC.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
1.7GHz P4s came in both S423 and S478 so you will need to find out which socket you have (based on age it's probably a 423, in which case you would need a new motherboard and possibly PSU)

mikemmx

S478

well acording to PC wizzard 04.
--
Mainboard Upgradebility :
Socket/Slot : PGA 478
Upgrade interface : ZIF Socket
Supported Speed : 2400 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage : Unspecified
--
So that means its possable to upgrade with out a new motherboard?
I plan to get this one. will this work?

P4 3.0 HT

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That P4 you have linked is a socket T (LGA775) so it wont fit. The only way you can really know how fast of a CPU you can put in would be to ask HP. I'm thinking it will only run at a FSB of 100MHz max (I think you have an 845 chipset, but it could be an 850) could you post some more info about your motherboard (like a CPU-Z (www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php) report)?

mikemmx

motherboard tab
--
ASUSTeK
model : P4B-LA
shipset : intel i845
southbridge : intel 82801ba (ich2)
--

CPU tab
--
clocks
core speed : 1693.7 MHz
multiplier : x17.0
FSB : 99.6 MHz
Bus Speed : 398.5 MHz
--

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
In that case I would say find a Northwood model with a 100MHz FSB (sometimes listed as 400MHz). You could try finding a BIOS update for your computer from HP but as you know your computer is getting old and support for new technology will be limited at best. You can probably get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116188 in there without a BIOS update but HT support will be a no go (luckily that chip doesn't have it so you wont loose anything). With an update you might be able to get a 133MHz FSB chip in (the chipset can in theory run them, I'm pretty sure that it can't handle a 200MHz FSB though) in which case the 3.06GHz will be the only one with HT.

ripken2004

i doubt ur mobo can use that fast of a processor, check ur manual for ur upgrade options, also its vry difficult to upgrade a laptop's processor b/c it most likely involves popping out the keyboard or deasemblying the case

tweaker

VIP Member
ripken2004 said:
its vry difficult to upgrade a laptop's processor b/c it most likely involves popping out the keyboard or deasemblying the case

This discussion ain't about a lappy..

Last edited:

ripken2004

sry, he said hp pavilion and i have an hp pavilion laptop so i just assumed, hp should rly have better advertising names and not use the same name for laptops and desktops

mikemmx

Aww..

I guess I have to buy a new mother board... some thing I was hoping to aviod...

well, I've looked at many in my budget. I can't seem differentiate one from the other, why some cost more, some less? they all have nearly identical features.

what makes one board better then the other?
all I require is HT support, 3 PCI, and 10"/10" so it can fit in the same case.
and some BUS too, cause 800MHz sounds alot more then my current 100MHz, what ever it dose, sure sounds like an important factor.

newegg.com search query

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what makes one board better then the other?
1. Features
2. Overclockability
3. Reputation and service and all that mushy stuff

all I require is HT support, 3 PCI, and 10"/10" so it can fit in the same case.
and some BUS too, cause 800MHz sounds alot more then my current 100MHz, what ever it dose, sure sounds like an important factor.
Id have a look at the P4P800SE if yer looking for a S478 board, the P5PGD for a S775 board :)