newbie - problems with java

Mynameismatt

Hi

I recently bought a laptop (yey)

Its a 1.6 centrino, 512 ram running XP with SP2 (this problem was happening before i installed SP2)

Whenever i try to access a page with java on it my PC crashes and reboots

these are the details:

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 85400000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F7417A98 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

and

C:\DOCUME~1\Matt\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4e35.dir00\Mini103004-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Matt\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4e35.dir00\sysdata.xmls

Any ideas on how i can fix it please?

Shearer666

My first post to a forum so apologies if I get the protocol all wrong!
I have a similar problem insofar as my PC freezes (needs reset) on some web pages running Java. I feel it is probably the symptom of a deeper problem because I have also had it happen on Adobe photoshop and (occasionally) Word. Have tried to sort it for nearly a year now but no success - despite paying 'experts' to have a go sorting it out.

System is 4 yr old ME with 512K Ram (problem became apparent when RAM upgraded from 128k - memory passes all tests) but an Intellimouse was also added around that time.

Having read literally hundreds of web pages on the subject of PC freezes I have eliminated the following possibilities:
Browser error, virus, adware, overheating, drivers (I think), java version. All ME upgrades from Microsoft installed. Original BIOS has not been updated - I resent paying. No conflicts show on 'system information' .

Anything else I can try??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have a similar problem insofar as my PC freezes (needs reset) on some web pages running Java. I feel it is probably the symptom of a deeper problem because I have also had it happen on Adobe photoshop and (occasionally) Word. Have tried to sort it for nearly a year now but no success - despite paying 'experts' to have a go sorting it out.
I suspect that its a combination of (a) old computer, (b) WME and (c) general "junk" on the computer slowing it down. Now you say it "freezes", does it actually lock up or does it just take a godly amount of time?

Shearer666

Thanks for reply. By 'freeze' I mean mouse/keyboard lock and PC has to be rebooted. Worked perfectly until this problem (within ME's limitations). PC is not overloaded with software - HD is 10gb used out of 40gb and a lot of that is photos. Freeze generally coincides with moving the mouse on a Java page but has been known to happen while Java page just loading and mouse untouched. Have tried uninstalling intellimouse to check that but old PS mouse then worked somewhat erratically and still got freezes on Java.

Shearer666

Yes - using Firefox at this moment and have the same problem - super browser though.
Mean't to add my PC is Pentium 3, 130 Ghz.

Shearer666

Use Norman (not Norton) anti virus but no firewall (have got Sygate but turned it off in case it was contributing to the problem - yes I know, naughty me). I have also tried not running Norman but the problem still persisted. Incidentally the PC froze just now accessing Firefox - which is why I think the Java problem is a symptom rather than a cause. As I've said, it happens randomly - one day a web page is OK, next visit it freezes.
Ho Hum. Would upgrade to XP but don't want to migrate the problem.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Do the freezes occur less frequently at fresh start than after some time after you work on the computer?
It seems to me that the problem is related to RAM... Did the memory passed all steps of memtest?

Shearer666

RAM passes all tests. The problem first ocurred when I upgraded from 128mb to 256mb. Assumed it was faulty stick but had the same problem with next 4 I tried (including an identical stick to the original - tried in case it was a compatibilty problem). At that stage the original stick seemed OK - but not big enough to deal well with applications I needed like photoshop. Eventually settled for a single 512mb stick to rule out faulty memory slot. Later when I reverted to the original stick I found I was occasionally getting the problem there. My take on this is that the RAM itself is OK but could it be something due to (or exacerbated by) increasing the memory? Have increased maxcache to around 70% 512mb.

Wouldn't say restarting clears the problem - mostly depends on when I hit a page running Java. Some days fine, others restart every 10 minutes.

And just to help a retired Brit's understanding - what does 'lol' stand for!!!!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you reinstalled the system after upgrading the memory?
I think one of the sticks were faulty (or incompatible with your setup) during the memory upgrade tests causing a little mess in Windows. Usually that affects the file system on the hdd, so run a disk check.

Oh, and LOL stands for Laughing Out Loud... :)

Shearer666

Many thanks for this. Have not tried reinstalling Windows being a non techie. Have looked up various sites on this
(like www.windowsreinstall.com/install/waysofreinstallingwindows.htm)
and replacing/parallel installing C:/ windows folder looks to be the simplest option to try first - dread the more complete option of reformating HD and backing everything up. Given my problem, would replacing Windows folder be a good place to start?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
You could try it, but if the error is in the file system then it won't correct it. Despite this, it worth a try... Who knows, maybe it solves the problem.

flatsoen

That sounds a lot like what I acquired, yesterday! Never had a problem until I downloaded an anti-virus and firewall and firefox, but now firefox freezes. Back to explorer, so far so good. The more I interact with the internet, the more trouble I seem to get into... Is that usual?