'No audio output device is installed'..no fixes working for me :(

samurai340

Yesterday I went to swat a fly next to my laptop and immediately afterwards I noticed my sound wasn't working and it said "No audio output device is installed". After Googling the problem the main suggestions were try reinstalling the drivers (this didn't work) and to go to device manager>sound, video and games>scan for hardware changes (my 'sound, video and games' tab seems to have gone AWOL).

Is there anything else I can try? Might formatting the laptop do anything? Do you think I have hardware failure? If so how much would it cost to fix? I didn't even realise I hit the laptop, but if I really have buggered up some hardware then I guess I must have clipped it..really shouldn't have broke anything though.

The worst part is I didn't even kill the fly

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you list what entries are under the sound, video and game controllers in device manager?

Rocko

Yesterday I went to swat a fly next to my laptop and immediately afterwards I noticed my sound wasn't working and it said "No audio output device is installed". After Googling the problem the main suggestions were try reinstalling the drivers (this didn't work) and to go to device manager>sound, video and games>scan for hardware changes (my 'sound, video and games' tab seems to have gone AWOL).

Is there anything else I can try? Might formatting the laptop do anything? Do you think I have hardware failure? If so how much would it cost to fix? I didn't even realise I hit the laptop, but if I really have buggered up some hardware then I guess I must have clipped it..really shouldn't have broke anything though.

The worst part is I didn't even kill the fly

I had this problem on an XP machine I built. Everything I tried did not work. I ended up picking up a cheap $5 sound card. Audio through the card has been working since.

Edit: sorry, didn't hit me until now that you are on a laptop. They have usb sound adapters too.