No Boot

Teknizion

Hello,

This is my first post on this thread. So far I like it, except for the fact that they have no section dedicated to OS. Well my question is this, what OS has no boot?. I remember seeing a computer on sale that had "No boot...." meaning it can be turned off and on with out booting or shuting down.

Thanks,
Teknizion

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I think it's about instant-on devices.
My Asus motherboard has a feature somewhat similar to this: it can play music from audio-cds without entering some OS; it works even with no HDD installed (according to the mobo's manual -- I never tested it because nothing can be compared to my Technics CD-player).
But the instant-on computers are even more interesting: http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~yuenck/cs3220/mem
But I'm not sure such computers are already on the market...

72montecarlo

just to make sure were not misunderstanding you. perhaps you mean this computer you were looking at had no operating system on it so there was a sticker indicating 'no boot' or no bootable OS on the system and you would have to install one yourself.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Or maybe (s)he is referring to Knoppix which technically can be argued to be no-bioot (in the traditonal windows-sense of the word at least)