No network connection???

Sypher04

I put in a network about a week and a half ago now, and when i put it in it all worked perfectly...

my setup is like this: (cable modem feeds internet into router, not a host comp)

Living Room Comp ----Router ---- My Room Comp

Anyways when i went to sign on to the internet sunday night i couldn't get a connection... (only in my room tho.. the network is working in my living room)

i checked my network neighbourhood and it showed the network was enabled and firewalled, but i had "limited or no connectivity"..

now i didn't change any system settings but, i looked over everything anyways, i could not find a single issue. So my next thought was to check the router configuration, everything was as it should be.

i spent my entire morning monday before school testing my connections and it was all good.

when i ask windows to repair the problem... it simply tells me it cannot continue because of the following error "cannot renew ip"

I attempted to run system restore on it but unfortunately i kept getting 'system restore cannot complete' when the computer reloads.

..so i'm just about out of ideas, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Computer Man5

RE: Network Connection

Hey. Check the antenna on your router, if your computer in ur room is not picking up any connection that usually means that either the software is corrupt and needs reinstalling or there is a break in your antenna wire. How are you picking up the signal? Wireless USB device or what?. If there is a driver for whatever the device is that u recieve the signal with it needs reinstalling. Try that. Let me know what happens.

+JPY :)

jesbax

on the computer that is not connecting. open up the ms-dos command prompt and type in ipconfig. this will give you ip address. the go to ipconfig/renew if it has a problem it will tell you what is wrong.

100 GB Maxon HD
16x DVD-ROM
52x32x52x CD-RW
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64/Model 64 Pro
RAGE 128 GL AGP
VIA Rhine II
ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI

jesbax

going thought ms-dos will give more detail what is wrong than what windows will do in a popup window

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
jesbax said:
going thought ms-dos will give more detail what is wrong than what windows will do in a popup window
Possibly... but
jesbax said:
open up the ms-dos command prompt and type in ipconfig.
Not when you type ipconfig --- if you typed ipconfig /all you would get more information (not all of it useful to most troubleshooters tho). The network --> details gives all the critical details required.

i actually have a wired router, I tried the drivers and everything is shown as working correctly.
1. Disable the windows 'firewall' and get a real one if you want (there are free ones available)
2. Disbale any firewalls you happen to have
3. Set your TCP/IP settings to autoacquire the new settings
4. Make sure the cable works

cunningham

i had this same problem were my network would choose a random ip address and my dhcp server would not choose the ip that my isp would provide. I tried everything and ended up reinstalling windows. 6 days after reinstalling same problem happened. What type of mobo and network card do u have? I reinstalled windows again but this time i DIDNT copy any of my old files over to my new hard drive and it fixed the problem. So i conclude that it was a virus or trojan of some sort

-cunn

i picKed a winna

Sypher04 said:
I put in a network about a week and a half ago now, and when i put it in it all worked perfectly...

my setup is like this: (cable modem feeds internet into router, not a host comp)

Living Room Comp ----Router ---- My Room Comp

Anyways when i went to sign on to the internet sunday night i couldn't get a connection... (only in my room tho.. the network is working in my living room)

i checked my network neighbourhood and it showed the network was enabled and firewalled, but i had "limited or no connectivity"..

now i didn't change any system settings but, i looked over everything anyways, i could not find a single issue. So my next thought was to check the router configuration, everything was as it should be.

i spent my entire morning monday before school testing my connections and it was all good.

when i ask windows to repair the problem... it simply tells me it cannot continue because of the following error "cannot renew ip"

I attempted to run system restore on it but unfortunately i kept getting 'system restore cannot complete' when the computer reloads.

..so i'm just about out of ideas, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I had the same exact problem a little while ago. The internet worked on my dads computer but said limited or no connectivity on mine. The first time was because i installed Spybot search and destroy and it screwed up my internet and i had to reinstall windows xp. The second time it happened i powered down the cable modem and router then turned them back on and restarted the computer and its been working like a charm ever since so you could try that if you havent already.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
i picKed a winna ...got it right.

While I was reading through the posts I was thinking.. JUST TRY RESETTING IT!

without going into technical mumbo-jumbo.. Ever so often my router and cable decide to play games and one computer will be able to connect to the internet and another wont be able to... when drivers and the OS and the router and even the modem SEEM to be working correctly.. but are not.... cut the power to the modem... and plug it back in.. reset the thing... and walla!