No power to keyboard mouse or monitor

trekker15b

Hi all,

From reading about this problem on this and other forums, I know loss of power can be caused by any number of things, so I will make it easier for those of you more in the know than myself to figure out by saying specifically what triggered it - a photo frame fell down the back of the tower and lodged on the cables. It would have struck the power cable first. Screen froze and now keyboard monitor and mouse aren't receiving power.

What I can say is

1. No beep on start up
2. Fans on psu and CPU work fine
3. Tried CMOS reset manually
4. Tried unplugging everything, to reset electronics
5. Unplugged mobo from psu
6. Changed power cables to both monitor and tower
7. Changed monitor signal cable
8. Graphics card is on board

Also, for years this machine has had problems starting up - almost every time, DOS will appear on screen and then freeze with the letters shaking and distorted. Resetting the tower a few times always sorts this.

I can provide some technical specs if it helps, but this'll have to be what I can deduce from looking at the components.

Thanks!

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Working on that info, my guess would be something was FUBAR'd at the rear MoBo inputs when the frame hit. USB and video jacks can take a large amount of impact force and be OK; unfortunately the ports they plug into usually can't:( Did you look inside the keyboard/mouse/video ports to see if anything was cracked or bent? Can you look at the connections in that area inside the case and see if anything looks damaged or pulled? Might also want to try physically touching the video/USB area inside the case and seeing if it's overly-loose and/or pulled apart.

Do you have sound? Can you hear the OS startup sound?