No Video

Ace1627

I am currently building a new computer. I have a graphics card in my computer set properly as well as having a monitor pluged in. When I turn my machine on no video or picture shows up on my screen. I have tried 2 different graphics cards as well as 2 different monitors. Someone please help me.

Ace1627

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ/IM/800, 1GB PC2700 DDR333 DIMM, INTEL 865PERL board, and I am using a geforce FX 5200 to test the computer before I buy a really good one. I believe those are the only components you need to boot up a computer. Please help.

Ace1627

I do not believe you need a hdd to just startup the computer. But if that information is needed. I am using a Western Digital 250GB Enhanced IDE HDD.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Praetor said:
No but you need a keybboard and some power :)

As for the problem, check the power? (and the P4 power)
unless I read it wrong, the computer starts but there is no video sent to the monitor. so the p4 power must be plugged in, it wouldn't start up otherwise.

da_ezman

So, you get NO BIOS start-up screen at all? Is this a new case/power supply setup? I would start with checking the voltage switch on the power supply and make sure it's set to 115v and not 220v. I've had that happen on a replacement power supply.
Are you getting the beep on boot? Keyboard flash? Just making sure power is being applied and things are running.
If you can, try another different video board, maybe a PCI type instead of AGP. Problem could be the driver for the AGP slot will have to be loaded after you get Windows loaded. It COULD also be a setting in the BIOS to select the first display device, PCI, AGP, etc... But, you gotta get a display BEFORE you can make adjustments there. :p
Let us know what you find. Good luck.

:cool:

Super_Nova

Stick your ear to the case and see if you can hear hard drive activity from it trying to boot. If you can hear constant hard drive activity then it's booting but getting no video. If all you hear is the hard drive power on but no activity from it then it's not the video card. Motherboard is bad, RAM needs reseating, or CPU is burned up. Either that you have a 5 of 12 volt line crimped bare and touching the chasis. This is assuming the computer is put together properly.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to ask this but someone needs to...You have turned the monitor on right? (this happens more than you'd think it should)