!! Noooob on a mission !!

Stiggy20

Hi all.

My question is regarding fans. My motherboard is a: Asrock p4i65g.

Every so often my computer shuts down / restarts. From the people I have talked to, who have a limited knowledge, they say that I should get a better fan as reheating is most likely the problem. (Noise is a problem too).

The problem is that I can't find out what size fan to get.

I have had a look on the Asrock website for this type of board but cannot find the right size that fits my board. I.e. 80MM / 120MM etc.

Does anyone know what size I need to buy and also which is the best fan for me regards cooling and noise for around the £10 mark.

Cheers for your advice.

Stiggy.

Mr soft

You will have to have a look at the case. This is where your fans will be going , not your Mother board. Measure the screw holes, as this will be almost the exact size you´ll need. You should have an extract on the rear, and sometimes a front intake.

Heat wise you will need to download something like everest and check where your heat is coming from.

Fans wise, Scythe make some nice quiet, inexpensive fans.

AlienMenace

You might also think, about how dirty your heatsink is on the cpu or you might need to re-apply thermal compound to the chip also.

Stiggy20

Hi again.

Thanks for the last comment, it made me laugh ha ha - I am a noob!

I just assumed that a fan was all that cooled things. It's starting to get a bit complex. Do you guys think that my comp switching every now and then is to do with overheating? I have run a virus checker and all is ok. CPU temp is 53 degrees Celsius.

Cheers,

Stiggy.

Stiggy20

I've got the side off constantly. The temperature is affected by the weather. Not sure if that is a sign of something. Ste.

linkin

VIP Member
It sounds like your CPU may be going higher than 60*C when under stress.
If you're not confident with taking your computer apart, then take it into your local computer shop and say:
"My CPU is overheating. Can you clean the heatsink of dust and re-apply some thermal compound for me?"
If you say that they are less likely to charge you a bundle because you'll sound like you know what you're talking about! :D