norton antivirus

emp519

I have a computer 1 GH celeron processor. 512 RAM. I am not sure about the motherboard. It is about 4 years old. The problem I have is that it is so bogged with pop-ups and sometimes internet explorer doesnt want to open and gets stuck making it useless. Should I buy norton antivirus and run it or just clean the C drive and re-install windows 2000 prof. Thanks.

emp

Lax

VIP Member
FIRST to remove the popups and whatnot you may want to do 2 things.
1. Go to trendmicro.com and do a house call scan.
2. Either download Spybot S&D (garbage IMO) or Ad-Aware SE (also garbage IMO) and scan your machine in safe mode.
3. Download the trial version of SpySweeper (www.webroot.com) or roots and update it the one time it lets you and scan your machine.

AFTER all that is said and done download FireFox and use that insted of IE. You can also re-add your Google toolbar if you want.

ecomp401

If your comp is messed up to the point of IE not even loading sometimes, then i would just reformate it, those things leave there trases no matter what you do, so for the best possible outcome, reformat and switch to firefox. Or you could just stop going to the sites that are sticking all this **** on your computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Should I buy norton antivirus and run it or just clean the C drive and re-install windows 2000 prof. Thanks.
Both

Or you could just stop going to the sites that are sticking all this **** on your computer.
Just because you dont goto sites doesnt mean you will stop getting popups.

Verrona

As i mentioned in a thread similar to this, the best popup blocker i found was yahoo's 1 given with their toolbar.

U can re-install Windows if u want but it's much easier 2download the toolbar and install it.

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/

Hope this helps u! If not just reply or send me a pm.