NTFS to Fat 32

magusbuckley

I have a HD that is currently running XP home on NTFS. I have a program I need to install on this machine and run on an older OS. I need to get down to Win98 at least, and would love to get back to 95 (Don't ask). When I try to run FDISK with a 95 boot disk, message says incorrect version of DOS. Someone told me to do it with the XP boot disk, but there is no type of partitioning program on that disk. Can anyone help me get this HD to an older File System? Any and all information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ZER0X

VIP Member
The only way I can think of turning NTFS into FAT 32 is by formatting the hardrive and redo it into FAT 32 :)

[tab]

[...]
Unless you have Win95b you won't be able to use FAT32 anyways... boot with XP CD and delete the partition.

smitherz

i don't understand why you would want FAT32 when NTFS is miles better. it doesnt make no sense. i would stick to NTFS. win 95 will only accept FAT16 and 98 FAT16 or 32. you have a choice with XP but you should always go with NTFS.
if you really want to do it that way then the only way is to re-format it, you can create a start-up disk and use FDISK or what ever you prefer. you might have to delete the partitions and create a new one.

smitherz

kof2000

well one thing is if you format it ntfs and then u bring ur drive to a friends house and hook it to his win98se or something fat32 os computer trying to grab stuff or show off it wont show up unless it is fat32 as well.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i don't understand why you would want FAT32 when NTFS is miles better.
1. You dont have to ... if the guy/girl wants to run F32 thats good enough :)
2. Backwards compatability

Any and all information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Have a run at something like Partition Magic :)