NTLDR missing on fresh install of XP(?!)

Da Mail Man

QUESTION -

I have the hard drive that was in the computer with windows xp and "7" on it in two separate partitions......Can I copy just the "7" paertition into and onto the larger 1tb hd?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can. You may probably be able to use that program to create the dual boot. It won't hurt to try.

Da Mail Man

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!
So,I connect both hd's to computer....At that point can I drag and drop into a partition on the 1tb-----or overwrite a parition or, remove and format the 7 partition.......

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would have to use a partition manager program to copy it from one drive to another. Like minitool partition wizard.

Da Mail Man

1...What I just did is connect up the much smaller HD (approx 150gb) and 1TB hd into computer.

2...I took the disk 1 partition "C" (149gb with 10mb unallocated behind it) and copied into disk 2 where "XP" also exists.
3...What I have now is 8mb unallocated space in front of an XP (F) partition.

4...After that, is another 8mb unallocated space that is sitting in front of "D" drive partition which now contains the "Win 7" from disk 1.

5...Aparently, I need (or want) to move the 8mb's unallocated space located in front of the "F" XP partition to directly behind it AND, the 8 MB's unallocated space in front of the "D" Win 7 partition to directly behind it.

6...I will, after all is said and done, disck the 150gb drive.

Can I do that and if so, how?...I have minitool program if that helps.

Attachments

• minitool partition locations.jpg
    minitool partition locations.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2

Da Mail Man

Another update this morning (Saturday) -

Screwed something up regarding "booting"...Decided to cut my loses and start over.

1....Copied the intact and working W7 (Windows 7) 150gb hd to the 1 TB HD...
2....Then, Unplugged the "150 hd" and attempted to boot from the 1 TB HD and which now won't boot......Next step is to reconnect the "150" and set the 1 TB w7 to active (or whatever) using mini partition wizard to see what happens......will add to this as I go along.

Not having any fun with this but, sure as heck learning a lot!
Ok....Instead of copying the partition from the "7" (150gb hd), I decided to use "copy disk" and is in the process of coying now...

Well, that didn't go well!.....

1.....Did a direct copy of the source "7" disc to the destination 1TB HD utilizing the entire TB space,

2.....Disconnected the "7" source disc, and attempted to boot from the 1 TB destination disc, even using the same cable/socket on the board as the source disc

3.....and get a start up error blue screen stating windows shut down etc., etc., etc.

4....Looks like my computer gets the last laugh!....Have no other recourse/idea but, to wait for a couple of 1TB HD's I ordered and install "XP" onto a separate HD and use a program to select which HD to boot into on computer start-up.

Attachments

• disc copy directy.jpg
    disc copy directy.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Da Mail Man

Another update!....
Strange enough, It appears that the 1 TB HD is defective!.....I cannot even format the bast-rd!......

I attached it to an XP, 7, and WIN 10 computer and all do not recognize it......MF'er!....Oh well, possible next week have a 1TB HD coming in and i'll see if i still have the same problems with that/them as I did with this one.....

Da Mail Man

Hard drives came in....and more problems...

I said that I was going to cut my losses and just install 2 hd's, 1 with xp, 1 with "7"........Decided to try again with a NEW workable hard drive.

1...Cloned the existing "7" hard drive to a 1TB HD no problem.......
2....Then created a large partition as a simple volume,
3....formatted same via windows xp os disc ....
4....I made the existing win 7 "inactive so that xp would not "see it"......

HOWEVER, each time I attempted to install XP on the hd, when xp wants to restart and prior to putting serial number in, I get "press any key to boot from cd - Error loading operating system".....This is after xp disc loads files onto the hd......If I hit "press any key to boot from cd", the process starts all over again from scratch.....WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING INCORRECTLY HERE (other than having xp installed first on hd)??

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Everytime your system reboots, it's reading the setup file on the XP disc and telling you to press a key to start it. Don't press a key and let it do its thing.

Da Mail Man

Everytime your system reboots, it's reading the setup file on the XP disc and telling you to press a key to start it. Don't press a key and let it do its thing.
Thanks for the reply!

You misunderstood me......I realize what you are saying......I did NOT hit any key.......I know xp has to "restart" but, it is when it does at the middle of it's installation that I get the error......I touched nothing.......I even went as far as to check if the computer was 32 or 64 bit! to see if I over looked somethng.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You need to install XP and then install 7 otherwise you need to fix the bootloader.

Da Mail Man

You need to install XP and then install 7 otherwise you need to fix the bootloader.
Yes, I was told and advised that but, even wiping out the 1tb sata, removing "7", and attempting to load xp straight away, I get an error......

I wanted to dual boot a single hard drive yet, pi$$ed off enough to have to attempt to use 2 hd's to do this.....Was to be "7" on one 1tbhd and xp on another 1tbhd (using 2 hd's)....

I saw something on utube about xp not recognizing sata and only ide....Didn't make any sense to me at all...

Da Mail Man

Uhhhh......currently looking at:

"Storage Configuration" and see:
"ATA/IDE configuration" and is set to "Enhanced"....
"Options are; Disabled-Compatible-Enhanced
Enhanced Mode is S-ATA

"Legacy IDE chanels"

has selections of SATA ONLY,
PATA ONLY,
PATA PRI,
SATA SEC,
PATA ONLY.......

EDIT----Will attempt to post screen shot in morning.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are trying to install to a SATA drive, I think you want Enhanced and S-ATA.

I think setting Disabled will switch the controller to AHCI mode. But this is only useful if you have AHCI drivers for your chipset either loaded on the install disk or available to setup via floppy (since this is XP and I don't think you can provide via USB)