nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT

cyras21

Is there any difference between this card with the different makers? I asked, in a different thread, which card some of you would reccoment and this was the one, but I didn't realize there were so many different brands out there.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Performance-wise there isnt much difference. The only really (nonasthetic) discerning factors are noise and more importantly, heat handling. Many 6600GTs (i dont remember if it was the PCIe or AGP or both) have serious wobble issues because the HSF is mounted with just 2 pins rather than the more traditional 4.

Although MSI cards customarily use 2 pins (they use a custom cooler) ... you'd expect that MSI would lead the pack (or be at the top-ish) when it comes to handling heat etc (or at least at not having so much of a handicap since their HSFs arent designed to need 4 pins) ... they actually end up at the bottom in terms of heat and wobble ... look around ... touch the card and see how much the HSF wobbles :)

Eklipze3k

I invested in a pair of Leadtek 6600GT's and the HSF on them seemed pretty stable, but I ripped them off to add a watercooling block and that's really loose ... just glad there are no moving parts to make it 'wobble' ;)