O S Question

Simonella

Hi there. Bought a PC from a mate of mine but the O S on it is XP FD. What the hell? He gave me the CD as well but I want to remove it and put a licensed O S on (I do have a XP Home version) Now, for some sorta reason I can not format this thing. If I put the CD in and try to boot from it, it just start to reload the O S. No option where you can format the drive. Pleas help me with this thing. What the hell is FD in any case? :confused: :confused: :eek:

Simonella

apj101 said:
try changing the boot order in bios so that you cd boot before your hdd
Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I did and one’s you put in the cd and change the boo order it just load the O S again. I have never seen this before.

Simonella

ver it just refuses to dial???????????????????????? I have changed modems as well and still the same response??????????? And not to mention that there is no sound on the PC although it’s got sound onboard?????

“English is not my first language”

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Start/Run then type, winver, tell use exactly what the version of windows you are running.

Cache

When you change the boot order, make sure you change it to the CD drive, also make sure you save the changes before you exit the BIOS, usualy be pressing "F10", then "Y" folowed by "enter" to confirm

If you have more than one CD drive make sure you have the XPCD in the right drive. Then when you reboot you will have to press any key to boot from CD and your off.

Does FD corispond with the initials for your country or language?

Last edited:

Simonella

Cache said:
When you change the boot order, make sure you change it to the CD drive, also make sure you save the changes before you exit the BIOS.

If you have more than one CD drive make sure you have the XPCD in the right drive. Then when you reboot you will have to press any key to boot from CD and your off.

Does FD corispond with the initials for your country or language?
Done that bro. Some of the keyboards buttons are not corresponding in other words @ is " and " is @.

Simonella

All I want to do is to freaken format the hdd to put a new O S on it. I am so frustrated with this thing. I just bought a new 80 gig hdd.

Cache

Simonella said:
Done that bro. Some of the keyboards buttons are not corresponding in other words @ is " and " is @.

That because you have foreign keyboard settings. Go to start-->settings-->contol panel-->Regional and Language Options, and change the format to whatever your keyboard is.

Last edited:

Simonella

Cache said:
That because you have foreign keyboard settings. Go to start-->settings-->contol panel-->Shortcut to Regional and Language Options, and change the format to whatever your keyboard is.
Did that. It's fine now however I still don't know how to format this hdd. :mad: :confused: :confused:

Simonella

Let me sum up my problemo bro.
1 I insert the XP cd because I want to format the hdd.
2 Change boot order in BIOS, press F10 and Y.
3 Reboots to the CD and ask me to press any key.
4 I press space bar and its starts to load the O S again!!!!!
5 No freaking option to format.
6 How do i format this drive????????????
7 I think I want to puke.

Last edited:

Cache

At this point I'd start looking at your XPCD as being the problem. Is the XPCD original?

If you have a second computer try to boot from the disk and see if it works, if it does then at least you know the disk is good.

Simonella

Cache said:
At this point I'd start looking at your XPCD as being the problem. Is the XPCD original?

If you have a second computer try to boot from the disk and see if it works, if it does then at least you know the disk is good.
Disk is fine good man. :confused: Is it possible not to be able to format a HDD?

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
guess you could try to format it without the cd, using some other means. (win98 boot diskette), then try to install the os...?

Simonella

Byteman said:
guess you could try to format it without the cd, using some other means. (win98 boot diskette), then try to install the os...?
Good idea. Did think of it but wasn't sure it would work. Will keep you posted. Will do it in da morning. See ya :D

Simonella

Gentleman, all I am going to say is that there is no medicine for stupidity (on my part). I did sort the little problem out. Thank you for some very informative answers. Peace