OC getting unstable little by little?

philaaay

So a few months ago, I was able to get my CPU stable at 3.8 GHz (a 1.0 GHz increase from the stock clock!) and it ran Prime95, 3DMark06, Vantage, etc. all no problems and even gaming as well.

About two months after that, it started giving me weird errors and eventually, when I rebooted my computer, it stated that my OC failed. I didn't give it much thought and so, I brought my OC down to 3.6 GHz.

It ran at that for many months up until last week, where when I tried to wake my computer up, I hear it turn on, but no signal to the monitor. I do a hard reboot and when the screen comes up, it says again that OC failed... So now I have it back at 3.4 GHz using the auto CPU Level Up! feature on the Asus board.

All the fans are working and running. What could be happening? I'm assuming that it's time to reapply thermal grease, but not sure if there's anything else that could be happening.

salvage-this

This may not be the problem but there is a chance that the bottom mounted power supply is taking in dust and making the PSU less effective Try cleaning it and the filter out. That fixed it for my system.