Offline Files Sync Issue

MacDiesel

At my company I have all user's Windows 7 Pro laptops setup with offline files that sync to user's shared folders on a file server. Today I migrated our physical Windows Server 2008 R2 file server to a Hyper-V virtual Machine. I used Disk2VHD to convert the physical disk to a virtual disk. I fired up the VM and when my laptop performed a sync I lost the new files that I had created in between the Disk2VHD conversion and booting up the new VM. Does anyone have an idea of how I can prevent this from happening Monday morning when everyone comes into the office and their laptops sync and lose any files that were created or changed over the weeked? I had this happen to me once already a few months ago. At that time it was from restoring our file server from an image backup. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks a lot!

Vipernitrox

So you converted the vm. Then edited some files on your laptop. Then you booted the vm you just created. And after that the files you edited were reverted back to their old state?

Don't have experience in using offline files. But can't you just convert and boot the machine during off hours? So nobody would've edited files in the meanwhile?

MacDiesel

I did do the conversion on the weekend, but all of our users have laptops they take home. I prevented having any issue by sending out an email to All Staff telling them that if they created or edited any files over the weekend, to make a backup copy before coming to the office. It is 1:38pm Monday and nobody has come to me with an issue! Thanks for reaching out!