Old Games

hollis098

I have C&C Red Aleart but it only works on old OS like windows 95 and 98, but i have XP Home, is their anyway of being able to play this game on XP? :confused:

Verrona

Not that i know of, try searching the net, perhaps google..

OR alternatively u cud wait WHILE i have a look :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I read something somewhere that said in XP you must be logged in with ADMIN privileges....

or... try this:

http://www.cncnz.com/files/redalert/patches.shtml

... I have not tried this patch.. so I do not know if it works... if it does... let me know....

I need to go dig through some boxes to find my C&C red alert game...

Super_Nova

Is it a dos or windows game? If it is a DOS game go to www.zophar.net and look for a program called DOSBOX. If it's a windows game try running it in compatibility mode. Right Click on the .exe file, choose properties and then pick the compatibility tab. Since I usually ignore Windows XP home in favor of XP Pro I can't garuntee XP Home has this feature. Also if I'm not mistaken if you are partitioned with FAT32 it's also gone. but I could be wrong about that.

edit :
I just found this on google
Minimum System Requirements
Pentium-based PC-compatible
2x CD-ROM drive
16 Megs RAM
MS-DOS
Windows '95-compatible

This leads me to believe it is a DOS based game. The program DOSBOX is your best bet. It may be a little slow or have some sound glitches but it works. I've used the Linux version to play old DOS games on Linux.

Last edited:

ZER0X

VIP Member
Actually it can be run in DOS or Windows 95/98 but in DOS it looks really old and bad colours and stretched out resolution :confused:

Super_Nova

ZER0X said:
Actually it can be run in DOS or Windows 95/98 but in DOS it looks really old and bad colours and stretched out resolution :confused:

Must have made two versions on the same disk or omitted a VGA driver under DOS. I suppose that means he can use either of my suggestions.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Super_Nova said:
Must have made two versions on the same disk or omitted a VGA driver under DOS. I suppose that means he can use either of my suggestions.

Sometimes (Ah hum!) Most of the times the windows compatability never works. If he's really desperate he could go with DOSBOX but the game doesn't look as good :eek: