Older Computer Fan Speed Increases With A Little More Resource Use Need Help Fixing Fan Speed??

DJboutit

I have a older Dell Precision T3500 with Intel Xeon W3550 CPU and 8gb DDR3 533mz. Normal 2gb to 3gb memory use 13% to 20% CPU usage 76 to 78 C. All I use this computer for is to run internet radio station Phat Beats Radio it runs Radioboss automation program with Stereo Tool that is what 95% of the time this computer is only doing. Now if I do something else on the computer that kicks the memory and cpu usage up a little it will kick the fan speed of 40% to 50%. What is causing the fan speed to increase so much and what would be a cheap fix?? Would adding another small fan inside the computer keep it cooler and keep the fan speed from kicking up??

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Dusting it out and applying new thermal paste works in a lot of those situations.

Can't say about all your questions. My small footprint desktop computer does the same thing. When I hear the fan kick in and it starts blowing hot air like a blow dryer I turn on an external little fan that blows air into the holes through the case. It lowers the internal fan speed almost immediately.

Good luck!