"On the fly" Burning

bigsaucybob

I have 2 DVD readers/writers. I need to make copies of some DVD's (legal) and every program I have used, copies it from the DVD to my HDD then onto the blank DVD.

None of them go directly from the DVD onto the blank DVD.

Any suggestions?

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Depending on the burning software you have, there should be a setting for either making a disc image (which you've been doing) or burning on the fly, like you want. Here's what my Nero 6 option page looks like below.

It's preferred to have your optical drives on different IDE channels if you're doing on the fly burning, such as slave on channel 0 and slave on channel 1. Two devices on the same channel cannot work or be accessed at the same time; that means (for example) the source drive can't be the Master on a channel and the burning drive can't be the slave.
Tom

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 105

bigsaucybob

That is most likely my problem.

I have both drives running on the same IDE cable.

I only have one IDE port though, it looks like I have another one but it doesnt have as many male pins as female ports on the cable that came with the drive.

Ex.

Second IDE port, I tihnk

.... ..........

Cable that came with drive

kobaj

VIP Member
Second IDE port, I tihnk

.... ..........

Floppy most likely. If you are doing burns practicaly every single day, I think you can purchase a sata to ata converter. Or alternativly, get a usb adaptor/drive. Other than that, its not really that much of a hasle to make an iso/image and then just delete it once your done.

bigsaucybob

Floppy most likely. If you are doing burns practicaly every single day, I think you can purchase a sata to ata converter. Or alternativly, get a usb adaptor/drive. Other than that, its not really that much of a hasle to make an iso/image and then just delete it once your done.

I tried making an ISO onto my hard drive, then burning it to the disc. It didnt work on my DVD player.

What does a SATA to ATA converter cost?

heyman421

banned
i have both my dvd drives on a single ide cable, and have no problem with on the fly duplication

are you making a copy of a dvd5 to dvd5? or are you transcoding a dvd9 to dvd5? that would make a world of difference

and typically, you'll get much better results with on the fly duplication if both of your drives are recording devices, as read-only drives usually don't have advanced schemes for on the fly error correction like burning devices do....

bigsaucybob

i have both my dvd drives on a single ide cable, and have no problem with on the fly duplication

are you making a copy of a dvd5 to dvd5? or are you transcoding a dvd9 to dvd5? that would make a world of difference

and typically, you'll get much better results with on the fly duplication if both of your drives are recording devices, as read-only drives usually don't have advanced schemes for on the fly error correction like burning devices do....

I am going from dvd9 to dvd5, I am pretty sure. And both my drives are recording devices.

heyman421

banned
well, unless the dvd you're copying is less than 4.7 gigs, you can either remove things from the original disc to make it fit onto a standard 4.7 gig disc, or you have to transcode it (re-encode it) into a lower bitrate mpeg-2

since your source and destination files are both mpeg-2, it doesn't need to decode the file to YUV between source and destination, it can stay mpeg-2, so it doesn't take quite as long as it would to go from an uncompressed video file to mpeg-2 or from a different encoding (say divx) to mpeg-2, but it still has to reencode every frame of video, and then repackage it into a .vob (.vob is a single stream with the video, all audio tracks, and all subtitles)

i have a 3.6ghz, and i know with my processor, and no other programs running, it still takes about 30-45 minutes to transcode an entire disc to make it fit on a 4.7 gig disc (depending on how much it needs to be compressed)

nero will allow you to transcode files and do on-the-fly burning, but you wont be able to burn faster than 1x or 2.4x, and most likely even then, you're going to be bumping into your buffer protection quite a bit, which you really don't want to use for a dvd-video.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I use dvd shrink to rip dvds that are of higher capacity and then shrink them to fit on a 4.7 gig disk. I but a lot of foreign films online (mainly hong kong kung fu) that need to be ripped from PAL to NTSC or Region 2 to Region 0.

So far I have not had many problems. Some of the newest dvds don't quite rip right but for the most part its pretty flawless.

This of course requires you to rip it to the HD.