Online Gaming

99thompson

Hi,
I'm in the middle of getting broadband and woundered what speed i should go for! I wud like to go online with the likes of joint operations etc. and wud like to host etc. So what speed can i get away with without slowdown as i need to save the pennies!

Thanks, Andy

ZER0X

VIP Member
256 speed is nice for online play, but if your willing to spend a bit more 512k is even better (faster speeds for download)

ZER0X

VIP Member
99thompson said:
Wud 256 be enough to host and have problem/flicker free gaming????

Of course, just don't let people that have high ping join bcoz in most games it can slow down the server :)

Geoff

VIP Member
If you have cable, i would get cable since its a lot better then DSL. With DSL you can pretty much only join games, since you need a fast upload speed to host a game (which you usually get with cable) most cable speeds are around 1.5-3mbps, however cable is usually around 200-800Kbps, depending on the service you get. Cable is usually cheaper for the speed then DSL, if you dont get cable (like where I live) then i would go with the dsl with a download speed of at least 200K download and 75K upload. You will need a much faster upload to host games though.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Were I live the best connection I've seen is Uncapped/128k (Download/Upload) why you'd need such great connection I have no Idea....256 hosting is fine

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
geoff5093 said:
If you have cable, i would get cable since its a lot better then DSL. With DSL you can pretty much only join games, since you need a fast upload speed to host a game (which you usually get with cable)
I don't know what you're talking about here, DSL with any speed usually has much faster uplaod than cable, I had 128K down and 96k up on basic DSL, now I get 2.5MBit down and 768KBit up on DSL

Geoff

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
I don't know what you're talking about here, DSL with any speed usually has much faster uplaod than cable, I had 128K down and 96k up on basic DSL, now I get 2.5MBit down and 768KBit up on DSL

I got it mixed up, cable has faster downloads and slower uploads that DSL. If you want to host get a nice DSL connection or T1/T3 (Although its probably out of tour price range)