OS shows incorrect HD size

songwritingguy

Greetings!
I just built my first custom PC and everything is fine with the exception of one problem. I have a Hitachi 60GB Master HD (Disk 0)that shows 57.2 GB once installed. No problem. However, my Hitachi 160GB Slave HD (Disk 1)when installed, shows 128GB Unallocated. I realize that formatting uses some space, but why did I loose 30GB?

I've checked my jumpers and they are correct. I thought that maybe the HD was labeled with the wrong size info, but when I go to my BIOS, it does show that it's a 160GB drive. What should I do?

Thanks,
Drew

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I found this one on the net regarding the 160 GB Hitachi HDD:
Beware that any current OS (2000/XP, etc) will only recognize 137 gb when doing a fresh install. You have to install windows, service pack and then make a registry change and then you are able to add a secondary partition with the remaining space on the drive. It will work fine though if you are using the drive as a secondary and windows is installed on another drive.
Have you tried to make two partitions on that drive?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
realize that formatting uses some space, but why did I loose 30GB
Because u have not partitioned the remaining space :) FDISK or partition managing software will do the trick

songwritingguy

Lorand,
I have nto tried to make 2 partitions on the drive. Someone else told me that adding SP2 would do the trick and fix my problem. Does that sound right?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It could solve this problem, but I'm not sure. But it certainly could cause other problems... :)

songwritingguy

Problem solved! As it turns out, I actually did not have SP1 downloaded on my XP Home OS. As soon as I downloaded the patch, this slave HD showed 153GB. Appreciate your help and advice!
Drew

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ah ok glad you got it working! Geez i dont think ive ever installed WindowsXP ... its always been SP1 slipstream .... i always forget that! :D