Outlook Express Account files location?

Da Mail Man

Greetings all,

1)...I have a DETACHED sata hd that came out of my now defective computer that I read and access with an external "hd reader".

2)...I have a "main account" or "identity" in Outlook Express ("OE") and as well, have 3-4 other e-mail accounts that "OE" checks also.

3)...I wanted to IMPORT all the accounts, settings, mail rules, etc (you get the picture) and save to folder so that I can click on same and do an "auto-install" so-to-speak into another computer

4)...I know how to get to the "mail store"; (Documents and Settings\???????\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\???????????}\Microsoft\Outlook Express ) and can see multiple dbx files.

5)...I did a test copy and paste install into another computer (OE) and it did place all the mails in BUT, only for the MAIN ACCOUNT/IDENTITY, and not for the other accounts.

6)...I remember I was able to save ALL the e-mail for all the accounts OE had in it and ALL the mail settings, etc I THINK by copying registry entries but, I do not remember......Further, with the hard drive detached as mentioned above, I do not know how to access the ext hd's registry or, if that is even possible....

ANY assistance is welcome.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only way to really do this is to fix the computer and boot back into windows and export the mail with all the identities intact, that I know of anyway.

You really need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer platform with windows 10 so things like this won't be so difficult for you.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply.....

The only way to really do this is to fix the computer
Cannot find a replacement Dell motherboard although, I have other Dell computers that I could put the hd in but, don't want to risk data deletion on my hard drive.

and boot back into windows and export the mail with all the identities intact, that I know of anyway. ...
There was some action with the registry about saving specific entries which would save each e-mail account and it's associated mails and settings and, to install them into another computer would just be a matter of "transfusing" them into the registry.

You really need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer platform with windows 10 so things like this won't be so difficult for you.
can't happen any time soon.....