Overclocking Network Card

taunts12

Hello, I have a question about overclocking network card. I have 300 Mbps internet, but my card can only handle 100 Mbps. Can overclocking get more out of that 300 Mbps or do I need new card? Thanks.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
No, you can't overclock your network card.

Are you sure you have a 300Mbps internet though? 300Mbps doesn't sound likely (unless you have fibre or somesuch.)

taunts12

Yea, I do have 300 Mbps, Estonia has fibre internet, 30 euros per month for 300 down 100 up :] And I read that u can overclock PCI cards.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Man I've been living in the country for too long :/

As for overclocking PCI cards - that depends on what you mean. Some PCI cards can be overclocked (e.g. graphics cards - but you'd be OCing the actual GPU on the board), and it's (on some motherboards) possible to give the PCI bus itself a small boost. However, OCing the bus won't help, since that only affects communication inside your machine; you would need a find to "overclock" the actual signal leaving the port, which, even if possible, wouldn't help you since the non-overclocked device at the other end of the cable would most likely not be able to correctly receive the signal.

tl;dr: can't be done. On the plus side, 1Gbps cards are insanely cheap these days (I've frequently seen them go for less than $10 around here), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Geoff

VIP Member
You just need to buy a gigabit router and gigabit network card. Both can be had for fairly cheap, especially the network card. You can't overclock it.

beers

Staff member
Overclocking components of the adapter doesn't allow the transceiver to support gigabit. There are additional mechanisms between 10/100 and gigabit that need to be supported by the card to function.

Gigabit adapters are cheap as crap anyway.