Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad monkey

hi
i am overclocking and Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred B) and i just wanted to ask a couple of questions
someone told me there was a set limit on how far you could overclock a Thoroughbred (2.1 GHz?). I ask because I am at ~2093 MHz at the mo.

also, how hot should i let my cpu get, it seems to run at about 40C at the mo.

If my RAM says its frequency is 166MHz then does that mean that 166MHz would be my maximum safe FSB or am i just being stupid

also, on a prrevious few overclocks my HDD score went down a bit on PCMark 2002 but on my last one it suddenly went up a good bit again. is it alright seeing as some overclocks seem to make it worse...

imjacktoo

Well, I thought I would answer some of the limitations of o/c and they are numerous, I guess thats why no one answered. Heres just a few.

there is no set limit on a CPU ...I have a 2400 tbred (all 2400 are tbreds) running at 2133.4MHz... Multi at 16... FSB at 133.3...Bus speed 266.7...CPU temp at 100% is 43C...

The luck of the pick on stepping of a CPU and how well that CPU will overclock is the first limitation...
http://www.lowyat.net/guides/athlonxp/

Your chipset on your mobo is another ,, the VIA chipset will not lock ur PCI and AGP to 33 and 66 respectively... The Nvidia chipset will, so that u can raise ur FSB to the highest limit..No maximum safe FSB on Nvidia chipset...

A good BIOS on a mobo is essential... Must be able to raise FSB and multiplier to obtain a higher overclock....also be able to set ur timmings on ur RAM....

VCore settings is possibe thru ur BIOS...Higher VCore will increse the CPU's ability to go faster...Ussually default is 1.65 volts on AMD or 1.45 on mobiles. dont raise the VCore untill u have proper heatsink and fan I would say...

The right Ram is a must ,,,Must be able to run at the same speed as FSB or be able to decrease setting to bus/ram settings like 5/4 ..not sure if thats clearly put...A lot of RAM can take overclocking...
http://www.corsairmemory.com/memory_basics/153707/index.html

And than there is heat...Proper ventilation of ur case is a must... Good cpu heatsink and fan , northbridge heatsink and fan (sometimes just a good heatsink) Mosfits get super hot and southbridge gets hot.. I got heatsinks on everything just in case..hehehe
http://www.longwin.com/taf.htm

The scores on the PCMark 2002 will be different every time, I wouldn't be too concerned....U have programs in windows that are running all the time that could be using the HDD at the same time and I'm not sure how that would affect the outcome.. it may not...

These are just a few concerns in overclocking, and now u should have more questians than when u started ......Happy overclocking.....

Personnally I get concerned about CPU heat at 55c...Thats debatable... everbody has thier own limit...

I hope u get more responses, thats what its all about....I should have just refered u to Rick G's overclocking guide...would have been much simpler!!!oh well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.