Overheat Problem.

Thomasweimer66

My computer has been randomly overheating lately.

I have an Hp. With some upgrades. HD Radeon 4670. 8GB DDR3. New 600 watt PS. It seems to be its the CPU. It has a AMD Quad Core. The ATI Catalyst Says the GPU never runs more than 55*C Witch i was told wasnt bad. But who knows. Speedfan says most things are good. but one of them. Temp 2. Is always hot/fire. any help is appreciated.

AlienMenace

Take the heat sink off the cpu and remove the old thermal paste. Then re-apply new thermal paste, like Arctic 5. Spread it over the chip about paper thin. Then put heat sink back on it, I would cleaned out the heat sink really good also.

Nanobyte

Be a bit wary about temperatures in Speedfan. Unless you know what they are you can be misled. On my PC, Temp 1 and 4 are the MB and CPU. My Temp 2 is 53 degC but it's irrelevant as are all the others. It's better to use any MB utility that came with the computer. You can compare those temperatures with Speedfan and figure out which is which.

If the CPU heatsink is bunged up, clean that out and see if it cures the problem before re-doing the paste.

Breadman177

Yeah dust can collect in side the fins allowing bad to no airflow going through to cool properly. The fan should be cleaned also so that it can spin at max rpm's.