Overheating Solid State?

Tsukaiyo

I'm no computer genius, but I know that solid state drives aren't supposed to heat up at all. No moving parts means no wear and no heat. Yet this one does?
My old laptop wore out recently (turns out fliplocks have weak hinges... :/ ) so I had to get a new temporary one. I bought an old Lenovo Thinkpad t420s as a temporary computer until I get a real replacement. Anyway, the one plus about this computer was that it was supposedly upgraded to have a solid state hard drive. Yet, since I've got it, it gets WAY hotter than my old computer with a regular hard drive did. The fan is constantly on, and holding my hand on the bottom too long when I run complex programs can even result in pain.
It's brand new (to me, anyway) and the storage isn't overwhelmed (though it's not much...). It even glitched into randomly coloured streams of pixels a few minutes ago.
How do I fix this? Can I fix it? Or should I just put up with it until I get a new computer in September?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
...I bought an old Lenovo Thinkpad t420s as a temporary computer until I get a real replacement

...it gets WAY hotter than my old computer with a regular hard drive did

...The fan is constantly on, and holding my hand on the bottom too long when I run complex programs can even result in pain.

Have you inspected the vents to make certain they are free of random fluff/dust? My initial guess would be that there is stuff preventing proper airflow out of the system and thus causing an overheat. Either that or whatever thermal compound that was between the CPU and HSF has degraded.

_Pete_

I have no idea why your computer is getting hot other than the fan is covered in crud or the vents are blocked. As for your observation that it gets hot and shouldn't because it has a solid state device is wrong. I have an eight gigabyte, amongst others, that I use to run Linux from and that gets very very hot, again, close to painful to the touch sometimes.

ramirez

cooling-station.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ENHANCE-...75035&wl11=online&wl12=55288741&wl13=&veh=sem

You can always purchase a cooling station for it.

Deadpool

solid state drives aren't supposed to heat up at all. No moving parts means no wear and no heat.

I know. It's really confusing...

Every material has resistance, even conductive ones have a little bit of resistance. The electrons going through it cause the heat when they collide with ions and atoms.

PS: Normal temp of SSDs is 45-55 C. How much are you getting?

PS2: Can´t believe that´s so cheap. It looks awesome.

Last edited:

The VCR King

I had an old Gateway craptop that I swapped my Vertex3 into for awhile. That laptop got so hot from the processor that it heated up the whole system, even the SSD. Your SSD is probably just being heated up by the rest of your computer. Lol

Agent Smith

SSDs have a series of memory chips. They will get hot. Your CPU temps are probably over the limit. Check the temps, clean out the laptop.