Partition Magic Destroy my datas -SOS!!

MADKING153

Hi, Need serious help!!!
I bought a new Seagate 200GB harddisk,and i set it as my auto cable select ( i think is primary .
Before i partition , i copy some mp3 and important datas from my freind com .

Then i decided to partition it into 2 : 170 GB and 30 GB ,using partition magic.

After the partition and restart , it tell me that this new HD is not formatted and ask me to format it (when i try to browse it ) .

Pls tell me what should i do to restore my datas ..and how should i partition it
?

Geoff

VIP Member
Im not exactly sure how you can restore your data, but check the manual/website for the software and it might tell you there how to fix it. Im not sure about this, but when you make partitions with a windows cd, they need to be formated, so i think it would be the same with this program (not sure though) so the partitioned drive would probably be a RAW drive, and it will probably need to be formatted to NTFS.

MADKING153

well, in partiiton magic , i set it as NTFS format .Beside, i thought partition magic can be formatted even the data is inside ?

alienationware

Lol...

Lol, another classic case of "read-the-manual-before-you-operate". When u delete a file, it can simply be "undeleted" because all that was changed when u deleted it was a simple attribute. I'm not sure about piecing data together from several different partitions. I don't think there is a way past this problem, unless ur willing to spend 100's of dollars by sending your HD to a data recovery lab.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
what windows are you running? If it pre windows 2000 then NTFS will not work. If it is a older windows trying rerunning partition magic and set it to fat32.

red onion

When you did the repartioning, Partition Magic should have asked you to make a set of recovery disks, they may come in useful now. Partition Magic can repartition on the fly...but the discs should be defragged prior to attempting this. If your friend still has the data on his comp, redo the formatting, be sure that it works and then recopy the data back over. You could spend days playing with it, but this would be the easiest method.
IMHO

MADKING153

Well , i try to recover all the datas but cannot . So now i decided to format this harddisk . But i dont understand is , my com recognize my HD capacity is 128GB ,actually i got 200GB .....what should i do to format this HD so that it can use again ? I using Win 2000 Pro

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i think is primary
Ok.... but was it actually

I bought a new Seagate 200GB harddisk,and I set it as my auto cable select ( I think is primary .
Before I partition , I copy some mp3 and important datas from my freind com .
Then I decided to partition it into 2 : 170 GB and 30 GB ,using partition magic.
After the partition and restart , it tell me that this new HD is not formatted and ask me to format it (when I try to browse it ) .
Pls tell me what should I do to restore my datas ..and how should I partition it
1. You bought a new drive. New drives dont ship with data
2. Making [new] partitions requires formatting