Password

When I start my computer, ask me for a password that I do not have. If I click "cancel" then the system allow me to proced. How is that and how can avoid that little window. any help please, I have an old system Dimension DEll XPS M200s, Win 98 SE, :confused:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Is it a windows password? If so, enter a new name, and don't put anything in for the password. Usally this will disable this feature.

If it's a network password, go into network proporties, and...aw geeze. You can change something to use windows login. Sorry I can't help too much but I don't have any 98 systems handy to give you step by step...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
ripken2004 said:
it sounds like the boot password thats enable in the bios

Since when have bios boot passwords let you click cancle and boot. They are suppose to prevent people FROM booting :rolleyes:

atomic

if your cancelling because you dont have the password theres always another way to get rid of the password (if one is there). Goto dos and change to the windows directory then type del username.pwl (username being that of the account with the password on). Next time you boot it will ask you for the password again but this time you can simply enter a new password. Its been along time since i did this in 98 so some of the details maybe incorrect but to the best i can remember it is correct.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I remember something about those files. Hehe, just shows how secure 98 is :rolleyes: I think what you said is correct too, though you can even delete them in exporer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Since when have bios boot passwords let you click cancle and boot. They are suppose to prevent people FROM booting
Som older BIOSes, when detecting a problem, automatically load up the configuration and then the password stops you ... you cancel and continue booting (with a potentially messed config) .... certainly not common but possible

Hehe, just shows how secure 98 is
Of course XP has it stored i the \CONFIG\SAM too :p

narafa

And who said that XP is secure by any means, if it was, there wouldn't have been SP1 and SP2.

Death to Micosoft :p