Passwords and Bookmarks storage

peter912

Looking ahead to the future, when it will be time to purchase a new computer, as to how to transfer my passwords and bookmarks , to the new computer ? Where is a safe place to store it outside of my computer ? I read that it is risky because these places can be hacked and your information can be obtained, such as your banking information.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Almost every browser today has a sync feature. Chrome and Firefox, you just sign into your respective account and have it sync. Then when you get a new pc you just sign into that account in that browser and it transfers everything into it, passwords, login information, bookmarks, cookies, etc.

beers

Staff member
Browsers use a sync feature, although I don't generally trust password synchronization services. You can use a third party tool like KeePass to retain those items, but as per above the profile sync feature of the browser would allow you to duplicate bookmarks and whatever other data you want.

peter912

Almost every browser today has a sync feature. Chrome and Firefox, you just sign into your respective account and have it sync. Then when you get a new pc you just sign into that account in that browser and it transfers everything into it, passwords, login information, bookmarks, cookies, etc.
Oh wow, that sounds great . Does Edge what I am using now have this feature as well ? How does someone go about doing this sync ? Should I do this now or wait until I get a new computer ?

Yes I saw that Edge has this feature and it is turned on . So I guess that I am all set to get the new computer. Actually I plan on keeping my current computer until Microsoft forces everyone to have Windows 11 and then I will need to get a new computer .

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now what is the procedure with the other new computer , with regards to getting the information over to it ?
Open edge, sign into your account. Click on the round icon and then click on sign in to sync data.

edge sync.jpg