pc building question

tboski123

ok, i got a asus a8v deluxe barebones and this is my first time installing so i was wondering, i only plan on one hd for the moment and it is sata (so no raid). should i hook it to the promise sata or the via sata(i think it said the promise was automatic to do raid, but i don't know about the via). also, i just plan to do one optical dvd/cd drive, so should i use the primary or secondary ide mobo slot and should the jumper be on master. thanks!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
should i hook it to the promise sata or the via sata(i think it said the promise was automatic to do raid, but i don't know about the via).

Should say in your mother board manual.

i just plan to do one optical dvd/cd drive, so should i use the primary or secondary ide mobo slot and should the jumper be on master. thanks!

It dont hurt to try it :). I really dont see y not but of course you can plug it into the second channel anyway. as far as the jumper goes it's basicly what else your plugging into that ide chain but since it sounds like there'll be nothing else then Master would be fine and recommended.

dsu2004

1. You will do better to use the non-RAID SATA controller if you do not plan to use RAID - that way you bypass unnecessary RAID hardware and may get slightly better performance (remember to disable the RAID controller in the BIOS ). Use the 80-wire cable for the hard drive. If the IDE cable is marked "master" & "slave", then put your hard drive jumper to CSEL (cable select) - otherwise put your hard drive to MASTER.

2. Use the 40-wire cable for CDROM drive. If the optical drive is a burner(CD or DVD) or combo(burner cum DVD) or even a plain vanilla DVDROM drive, jumper it as "MASTER" (if the 40-wire cable is not marked, as above, else "CSEL" if the cable is marked "MASTER" & "SLAVE").

tboski123

lol, i know, that scared me there a sec when he said the 80 wire cable. anyway, the a8v manuel is really not helpful when it comes to the actual hooking up. it asumes you already know how to do everything. though i have still not powered up the pc, if i read right, the promise controller is set to raid by default, but i don't think the via one is, so i might just hook it in the via. also, does it matter between the primary and secondary ide for my dvd because it will be the only thing hooked up to the ide. i know you answered that, i just want to know the difference. thanks

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
No I really doubt that it will matter if you hook up the dvd to the primary or secondary I've never tried this myself but I know your not going to hurt anything by doing it anyhow... basicly do it and if it doesn't work then hook it up to the secondary. I'll be getting a Sata HD in about a month or so and I'll be finding that out for myself then.. LOL

tboski123

hey blue, thanks a lot for your help. well, hopefully i'll get my hd in a couple of days and start to hook up every thing. i already have a pre-tested barebones kit, i will add the hd,dvd,vc,sc,mem, and o.s. any other suggestions for the noobster lol? thanks!

p.s. fyi - asus a8v deluxe w/ amd 64 3500+ 90nm

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i only plan on one hd for the moment and it is sata (so no raid). should I hook it to the promise sata or the via sata
The chipset controller :)

i just plan to do one optical dvd/cd drive, so should I use the primary or secondary ide mobo slot and should the jumper be on master. thanks
Since its the only PATA drive, master/slave doesnt matter and neither do primary/secondary

EatFlan

Any updates on this?

I have almost the same:

asus a8v deluxe w/ amd 64 3500+ 90nm
SATA Western Digital Raptor 74 GB

I'm currently in the sata 1 port on the ASUS and like the original poster I plan on only using 1 HD. However the ASUS manual says that i NEED to install raid drivers or something in order to instal WinXP.

They give the drivers in a support disk and tell you to put them on a floppy and add them in before the windows install.

However when i get to the point where they ask for the floppy, I put it in, and it simply asks for me to put in a floppy again!

Does this mean that my floppy drive is bad? bad floppy? bad drivers?

I have no clue. any help would be appreciated.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
should I hook it to the promise sata or the via sata(i think it said the promise was automatic to do raid, but I don't know about the via
On the mobo the SATA connecors are labeled ... if you dont want the raid, start from SATA0 and work up ... I think the RAID is labeled as SATA RAID0 ..

However the ASUS manual says that I NEED to install raid drivers or something in order to instal WinXP.
Quite correct, youll need to copy the RAID drivers from the CD to the floppy and during the WXP installation, press F6 and load the drivers so that the system knows how to deal with the SATA drive

However when I get to the point where they ask for the floppy, I put it in, and it simply asks for me to put in a floppy again!
It means you dont have the right files (assuming that the disk is fine which ods are it is)