PC mod-CPU air duct

mojo42

New Member
i'm planning on building a CPU air duct onto one of my computers. (may have an intake fan, but not sure) has anyone done this? or have any tips/pics??
 
I did this on two computers. :)

The first computer was easy: All I did was cut a 3" diameter hole into the side panel and made a duct out of aluminum HVAC tape and cereal boxes :P so that the duct went right up to the 60mm CPU fan. Temps dropped by about 10°C, so it was a success.

duct1.jpg

duct2.jpg

This bunch of cardboard was designed to hold a piece of air conditioner filter foam in place.

The second computer I did this to, I didn't want to cut a hole in the side panel, so I cut a hole in the rear and used aluminum hose to bring in air. This was a failure; temps actually rose by about 3-5°C compared to a normal set of intake and exhaust fans in the front and rear panel. I took out the front intake fan and temps dropped another 2°C.

Bottom line is that no two computers are alike, and the duct seems to work better in small cases than big ones. If you try it and it fails, you'll have to cover up the hole you made somehow. Good luck with this! :)
 
Last edited:
wow, nice. i have a mid-tower case. it looks like that's what yours is. i read in "Building and Upgrading PCs" by Scott Muelller, that you can use PVC pipe and a shower drain, but cereal boxes are probably even cheaper
 
Back
Top